Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
your_buddy_eliot

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Car doesn't shift into P R D N

Hey guys, really quickly let me tell you what happened. one day i got stupid and started power sliding my yaris, and ended up hitting a curb . no major structural damage… i mean the front bumper came off but i fixed that with some cable ties. fans worked, no leaks, no overheating etc. BUT, it was really hard to put my car back in park, and when i would move the stick to the P position, the car would still roll back and the light for P on the instrument cluster would not come on, and there was really nasty rattling in the shift lever when it was put into reverse. check engine light came on and it threw out a p0500 code for the speed sensor. driving the car around though, no problems, shits as smooth as ever. did 80 mph with no issues. now yesterday, it got really hard to put the car in P as usual, so i forced it in. really loud popping sound the instant i did that… then no check engine light lol. the car was stuck in reverse while the stick would be in any gear, (D, 1, 2, P etc) so i had to manually put the car into N to get it towed home (popped the hood and pushed the gearbox lever down) when a got it towed home i put it in park by doing the same thing.Initially i thought i had a problem with the parking pawl in the transmission, but i threw that out of the window when the car was put into park manually. I assumed i broke the shift linkage, but that seems to be in place fine. I haven't opened up the center console yet and looked at the actual shifter, but thats next on my agenda. i'll upload pictures soon. PS any help would be awesome i really don't want to spend $300 on a new shift cable lol
Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Besides the shifter end, also check the transmission end. You may have bent the selector assembly on the tranny itself (it lives right under the battery).

Any videos of the power slide into the curb?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #3
your_buddy_eliot

@CTScott everything looked fine under the hood, i haven't removed the shifter from the center console to look at it yet. that will be tomorrow mornings project, i'll upload pics then.
PS, no video's of the power slide :(… I'll keep hooning but in parking garages instead of narrow streets lol
Old 04-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
your_buddy_eliot

Here's a picture, red is the shif linkage, yellow is the shifter cable. trying to upload a video now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2599009793304072508.jpg (138.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
your_buddy_eliot

here's the url for the video

http://youtu.be/_8v_dDGxcC4
Old 04-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Where the red arrow points to is the device that the cable moves, which reports the gear position to the ECM, which in turn reports it to the cluster. If it appears to move correctly up an down when the shifter is moved, then it may be internally damaged, since the ECM is not seeing the signal from it.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:04 AM   #7
your_buddy_eliot

the issue I'm having is when i move the shifter from the drivers seat, the piece that i highlighted in red is not moving….
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
your_buddy_eliot

Finally figured it out. cable slipped out of the male end on the shift lever from inside the car. $300 dollar fix, fixed with $0.00 and a ten millimeter wrench … Gotta love them Toyota's :) <3