Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it is the iihs. they lie and steal and do everything they can to make the car companies look bad. They are the ralph nader of the current time. But with even less morals, if that is even possible.

The Yaris has done extremely well in european crash tests.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The Yaris has done extremely well in european crash tests.
yes, but that is an EU market Yaris with a pile of airbags that are expensive extras here....
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
yes, but that is an EU market Yaris with a pile of airbags that are expensive extras here....
if you want to believe an institute with an agenda to get car companies to bribe them to get better scores, be my guest. I on the other hand, will use my brain and make my own choices.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
jayeh

Quote:
if you want to believe an institute with an agenda to get car companies to bribe them to get better scores, be my guest. I on the other hand, will use my brain and make my own choices.
What?

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The EU spec Yaris has Side body airbags, Side head airbags and Driver knee airbags which the ones here don't have as standard equipment. You can't compare the results directly. I'm not exactly sure what you're point is..
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The IIHS keeps inventing new tests and run the tests before an automaker can comply with such extreme crashes.

Needless to say, the Camry is a safe car. But tests like this make Toyota look bad. Most people will see a report such as this and without looking into the details, conclude that the Camry is a death trap.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
The 5 most dangerous cars?

As rated by IIHS:

1 - Fiat 500 (Lounge, CLounge, Sport, Pop and CPop)
2 - Kia Rio 5 (LX and SX)
3 - Toyota Corolla L
4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
5 - Mercedes-Benz CL600

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...ries-2013.html
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Here is the 2012 crash tests in europe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqlBY0_fe8
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
kou

Drives: 08 lb
And here is a great camry vs third gen yaris offset crash test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19znNFka-eU
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
What?

You're comparing apples and oranges here. The EU spec Yaris has Side body airbags, Side head airbags and Driver knee airbags which the ones here don't have as standard equipment. You can't compare the results directly. I'm not exactly sure what you're point is..
no i am not. airbags only hurt people, they don't do much to help. This "test" is not meant to test anything, it is to make car companies look bad so they will bribe the iihs to stop it.

The IIHS is a privately run, privately owned by insurance companies organization. If you don't think they are looking for a payoff from auto companies, i have a bridge i want to sell you.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:

The IIHS is a privately run, privately owned by insurance companies organization. If you don't think they are looking for a payoff from auto companies, i have a bridge i want to sell you.
After lurking about on their website, I totally agree with you.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
yarisse54

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
The Facts Are Disturbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisse54 View Post
- Okay dudes and dudettes. The 2013 Toyota Camry totally flunked the IIHS' new small-overlap crash test. We know that the Camry is *supposed* to be safer and structurally stronger than the Yaris.

- But now, it seems that the 2013 Yaris is doomed to fail the same small-overlap crash test, since it seems unlikely that Toyota would make their smallest car stronger and safer than their midsize sedan, the Camry.

- So live in ignorance, or admit that Toyota seriously needs to redesign the safety cages in their cars ASAP?

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-honda...#axzz2HdmdHrOG
As a buyer of a Camry, you can always try to justify your purchase by saying that the Camry has a good record of reliability, good interior spaciousness, or even comes in the color you want (!).

The truth is, the Camry and the Yaris are victims of cost-cutting to the extreme. Both vehicles have less steel than previous models (~200 lbs saved in the 2012 Camry over the 2007-2011 model).

No joke, but the 2012 onwards Yaris requires the buyer to pretend they do not see the lack of sound insulation, the absence of covered wheel wells, the hard plastic dash/door panels, no telescoping steering wheel, and absolutely no soft-touch trim on the rear doors!

Even though the Camry superficially performs just as well as other vehicles in the class, this new IIHS Small Overlap crash-test has revealed a serious trend of misrepresenting bad new products as being good or better than the old cars.

2012 - 2013 Camry and Yaris are better in some ways, but consumers are short-changed by the elimination of small features (sound proofing and thicker steel) which used to make Toyota vehicles quite refined in comparison to the competition.
yarisse54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #30
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
You really should link the results. Almost no car's tested has passed with good results.

IIHS Crash Test
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #31
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisse54 View Post
2012 - 2013 Camry and Yaris are better in some ways, but consumers are short-changed by the elimination of small features (sound proofing and thicker steel) which used to make Toyota vehicles quite refined in comparison to the competition.
Really?

Once again not something I associate with Toyota.

Thicker steel and soundproofing makes me think of a domestic.

Tags
2012, 2013, camry, corolla, yaris