Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
jcs

Drives: Yaris 2010
Passenger Airbag OFF + Seatbelt flashing

Hey there,

I just bought a used 2010 Yaris which was inspected at a local garage and everything was A1 with no DTC showing up.
Couple days later, the airbag light started appearing on the main dashboard, on the passenger side the seat belt light started flashing with the words AIRBAG OFF also litting up.

All this with or without a person sitting on the passenger seat. Even with the passenger seatbelt attached, the same lights are on.
I used a cheap OBD2 bluetooth adapter and found the code DTC B1650 - Occupant Classification System Malfunction.
Using the jumper trick in the OBD2 interface, I got the code 32, confirming the same issue.
I also tried to clear the code using the instructions on the same post, but it comes back when turning on the engine.

I understand that it is the related with the weight sensor under the passenger seat. Either some wires disconnected or the whole sensor that would need calibration / replacement.
Since the issue started appearing randomly after starting up the car, I don't really know where to check.
I checked the front connectors under the passenger seat after disconnecting the battery for 10minutes to check for corrosion but everything is very clean.

Is there an easy way to check if the sensor needs replacement?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jcs; 12-17-2020 at 07:27 PM.
jcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Download bootleg toyota techstream and see if it can read passenger weight/presence. If it says a passenger is present then I'd replace the seat sensor. I'm not sure there's any other diagnostic route unless a wiring diagram and service manual explains voltages and resistances for a properly operating system
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
jcs

Drives: Yaris 2010
Just to give an answer for someone else in this situation. I asked the same question on /r/yaris and someone suggested going to a garage that have a "Snap-On", a diagnostic tool for Toyotas and ask for a calibration for the sensor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqct3PPd3M

We called Toyota and asked about it and they did it for 40$. The issue is finally gone! I guess we cleaned the car a little bit too hard under the passenger seat. Next time we will be careful not to hit anything!
jcs is offline   Reply With Quote