Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
titocalata

Drives: Yaris 2010
Yaris 2010 LHD to RHD conversion

Hi all,

My first post here, so, sorry if this is not the appropriate sub-forum, so please move it if necessary.

I have a Toyota Yaris 2010 that I bought in the UK. Recently because of Covid I moved to Spain, and I brought the car with me. I'm very happy with the car, so I was going to convert it to RHD instead of selling it and buying a new one.

So I have a few questions that you might be able to help me with, and if the process goes ahead, I will be adding updates on this thread.

So my first stage is converting the headlights, and more and less I have an idea of how to do it. I'm aware that the easiest way is by buying new ones, but they are very expensive and I have some free time now.

I opened the headlight and the only way to convert it to RHD that I think is turning the bulb a little bit, so in this case, the holes for the bulbs should be on the red marks. Can anyone with an RHD confirm this?

Right by Tito Calata, on Flickr

Left by Tito Calata, on Flickr

This crazy theory comes from a youtube video, where the guy is changing the bulb from the right headlight and the holes seem to be in the area that I put the red marks.

yaris_video by Tito Calata, on Flickr

My idea is with a hot knife, try to make the holes myself, so the bulb can stay in place.

Anyway, any thoughts? Do you think the process is too crazy and I'm going to break my headlights?

Btw, if someone has done a conversion like this would be great to have some insights!

Cheers everyone!
titocalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Dude! Don't worry about breaking the headlight. Be more concerned about breaking the bank.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by titocalata View Post
I'm very happy with the car, so I was going to convert it to RHD instead of selling it and buying a new one.

If you've got the ability and tools to do it, go for it! If not, brace yourself for an incredibly expensive and difficult project. Just thinking about the differences in parts, you have to replace whole sections of the firewall/unibody to accommodate the pedals and steering column, the entire main body wire harness, the steering rack, and most of the brake system. There are probably even more subtle differences between LHD and RHD but you'd have to do a part-by-part comparison of every system and wire harness on the car to find them. Unless they're exceedingly rare and expensive over there, you're better off just selling it and getting the other version.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
As the other has written its almost impossible to convert that.
But if you want to drive it in spain, you have to change the headlights, because they have assymetric reflectors.
It does not help turning the bulbs.
New headlamps is cheap.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hauptscheinw...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 11-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #5
titocalata

Drives: Yaris 2010
Thanks for the info! That's what I thought, in the end, I'm going to buy new headlights or go to the local scrap man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
As the other has written its almost impossible to convert that.
But if you want to drive it in spain, you have to change the headlights, because they have assymetric reflectors.
It does not help turning the bulbs.
New headlamps is cheap.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hauptscheinw...Cclp%3A2334524
titocalata is offline   Reply With Quote