Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
daibatzu

Drives: yaris
sound system revamp

hello everyone. this is my first post. just got my new yaris sedan last week and decided to join a yaris forum. I am a bit of an audiophile and the first thing I noticed about my new car is that I really hate the sound quality coming from my speakers. But I really do not know anything about sound systems for cars.
I am thinking of buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CXS-GT541...958906&sr=8-13

But can anyone let me know if there is anything else I will need? I can see there are speakers at the back seat and in the 2 front seats plus a CD player. Do I have to replace all these in which case I will have to buy the set in the link and also speakers for the back seats? In which case I will have to add this as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XSGTX6930..._bxgy_e_text_b

Please help. My car dealership says they will install a new sound system for free but I need to buy one first and don't want to make a mistake.

Many thanks,
Igwe
daibatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
If you want great sound, you should stick an amplifier under the seat, and power all the speakers... and throw an amplified sub in the trunk... and soundproof/dampen vibrations on all major surfaces... and end up spending a lot more money, see the Sound and entertainment section of this website.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
daibatzu

Drives: yaris
thanks for the response swidd, but I am actually looking for something a bit more integrated rather than throwing an amplifier under a chair. I will look at the sound and entertainment section though. Thanks a lot.
daibatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
You can do as much or as little work as you want. Check out these threads. There are a bunch on YarisWorld but these are a few guys that know their stuff, and you will get a killer education just reading their threads.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26150

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27361

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24585

good luck!!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
When you say "integrated", what do you mean? You don't like the idea of having the amplifier under a seat...which, at least in my car, is not really an option because of the uni-body bracing and shape.

Give us an idea of what you envision.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daibatzu View Post
I am actually looking for something a bit more integrated rather than throwing an amplifier under a chair.

Interesting...
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Looks like he just wants to replace the stock speakers with aftermarkets and slap a cd player in.

The spec's on the speakers and Headunit though are going to be a bit off.

XS-GF1622X Speakers

Speaker Power Handling
The drivers deliver 190 watts peak power (40 watts rated).

# 4 x 52 watts maximum power with front and rear/sub preamp outputs on the Headunit. You're looking at about 20 watts RMS there buddy, so your sound is going to be pretty similar to what you have now.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Push down right side button

>Turn BAS to 5
>Turn Treb to 5

>Instant good sound, cars interior pumps and trunk even pumps when I clean my car I put music and people can hear it no problem lol
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
>Turn BAS to 5
>Turn Treb to 5
What's that? not an option for my HU..........LOL

derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Lolll, his speakers will be sounding like he's making popcorn within two days

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Been doing it everyday I drive 5 days a week to work and back my speakers sound like new stock. Even been asked if its aftermarket lol

Look at my photo, the right knob on the stereo not the volume one-

Push it in and then Push/Click to alternate through the options on it Bas = Bass Treb = Treble turn them to the max (Being 5) sounds good man.

If you want more than that, your ears are gonna pop. Though I turn up to like 30 volume lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autos 113.jpg (85.7 KB, 241 views)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
.Kevin you would poop yourself if you heard a really nice system in a Yaris.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Had one in my Fastback, cost 5 grand took it out. Too exaggerated for me. Everyone to their own I guess.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
eww.

If you are not sure what you want, the first thing you should get is a good head unit.

What you linked too is not a good head unit.

How much do you want to spend? I will tell you the stock speakers sound pretty good with a better head unit. Now of course it sounds nothing like these guys that have spent 5 or 10 grand on everything, but i didn't want to do that.

If you do want aftermarket speakers, you must have an amp. Very few head units put out enough power to adequately power good aftermarket speakers. If you don't get an amp you will eventually run into problems with the speakers.

But first is first, spend a few hundred dollars at least on a head unit. Install it, spend a month or two, and then go from there.

Unless you are willing to spend $5 grand, then one thing at a time is a good idea.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Agree with Whys way, I spent 5 grand on a system it sold for 1,500 afterwards isnt worth it.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #16
derickveliz2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Look at my photo, the right knob on the stereo not the volume one-

Push it in and then Push/Click to alternate through the options on it Bas = Bass Treb = Treble turn them to the max (Being 5) sounds good man.

If you want more than that, your ears are gonna pop. Though I turn up to like 30 volume lol.
I'm sorry Kevin, I was trying to be funny, because I change my OEM HU with a Pioneer P-99 and it's true theres is no BASS or TREBLE in this thing...

Derick.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Oh man I just failed. And nice set up I like the colors lol saw one like that but I liked my blue with green set up moar.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #18
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I think if your music can be easily heard (or felt) outside your car then it's too loud. Not that I'm such an old fart, but more that it's invading my privacy and bothering me if I have to hear someone's idea of music (which is usually wrong, BTW :)), plus the cops in my pissant little town don't like that thumping any more than I do.

My new HU sound wonderful with plain Jane stock speakers, whatever they are. Tell you what, when that asshole GPS dude butts into your music to give you a direction, you won't want any more power. Startled the shit out of me the other day! I've had amps, subs, and all that...but I settled for all that shit in my living room, where I can experience movies like they should be experienced. In the car, I don't want or need everyone in town experiencing it with me...and I sure don't want to experience someone else's.

Just my opinion.