Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
Lokusta
Unleaded fuel only

Drives: 1.33 Dual VVT-i (1nr-fe) 100HP
Need Help! Ronal R53 or R54? 6 or 6.5?

Hello!
I am very undecided about the choice between two models of 15 wheels, both from Ronal (I simply love this brand).
As I drive in Italy, I will use 185/60 R15 summer and winter tires as it is the only legal size on the road here.
I am considering several factors in the choice, such as the ideal width of the rim channel for use with 185 in all seasons, and an ET that is close to the original to have the ABE document (TUV certificate of suitability for the vehicle), and possibly a weight saving. The two wheels I'm deciding between are:

Ronal R53 6x15 ET43

Ronal R54 6.5x15 ET45

Basically they are similar but I don't know if it is better to have half an inch less width and two millimeters of offset gain of the R53 or if instead it is appropriate to have the 6.5 width and original offset for the 15 inch (+45 mm) rims of the R54.
I don't know which of the two is lighter but I believe the R53 which is 6 instead of 6.5 wide.
Also, even though I read in the forum that 185/60 r15 can be mounted on 6.5 inch wide rims, I think 6 inch is a more adequate size for the tires I use. it's correct?
Both are TUV approved for use on Yaris.

thank you very much anyone who gives me their opinion, I hope you will help me make the best choice!

Ciao!
Lokusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
185/60/15's will fit both wheels very well. In this case, the difference between 6" and 6.5" and ET43 and et45 is insignificant.

Visually, the two wheels are very different, so it's all about personal preference. But, Ronal wheels tend to be quite heavy. From my own experience, wheel weight on this little car makes a huge impact on acceleration and overall handling! Moving to lightweight alloy wheels make for a completely new driving experience! Lighter is definitely better. Just something to think about.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #3
Lokusta
Unleaded fuel only

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
185/60/15's will fit both wheels very well. In this case, the difference between 6" and 6.5" and ET43 and et45 is insignificant. Visually, the two wheels are very different, so it's all about personal preference.
I understand. Maybe i can go for the R53 6" in order to save some weight by reducing the wheel width? yeah it's about preference but i like both models, i already made a selection by not posting other 6x15 wheels... i believe that form follows function, so the best wheel for me will be the most functional

Quote:
But, Ronal wheels tend to be quite heavy.
This is true but, since Ronal wheels are really solid and strong, it's a drawback i can take. My use of the little Yaris is often demanding considering that i go snowboarding on the Alps every winter, and use it in the hot summers on the Mediterranean Sea as well, sometimes not on asphalt roads, so i need a 100% tough wheel. i can link this article about world's toughest wheels: "Ronal rims should by all rights be number one on this list. For years we recommended Ronal as the best aftermarket alternative to our customers with softer or more brittle rims because Ronal makes some of the toughest rims I’ve ever seen."

Quote:
From my own experience, wheel weight on this little car makes a huge impact on acceleration and overall handling! Moving to lightweight alloy wheels make for a completely new driving experience! Lighter is definitely better. Just something to think about.
I totally agree with you, and you made me think for the 6" over the 6.5" to save 0.5" of extra weight , and i was also wondering how much the wheel design can affect the wheel weight at same size and same brand!
Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Lokusta
Unleaded fuel only

Hello everybody!
I am so happy, i can show you my new babies!
While choosing my wheels in the end i considered the weight factor more than the Aesthetic factor and i went for the r42!! The lightest ronal wheels with measure 15x6 r43. Now they are in their box but i am planning to put them on next week! Preview for You

Old 10-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Congrats! New wheels are always fun.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Lokusta
Unleaded fuel only

Here they come! :D