Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
biggyjiggy

Drives: 07 Red Yaris LB
07 yaris lb sometimes does not start :(

Hi everyone! I just got my yaris (manual 5spd) last week with 25,000 miles on it.

For some odd reason the car runs perfectly fine but then sometimes when i try to start my car it doesnt turn on. For example today i went to sports authority and 15 minutes after i had bought what i needed the car wouldnt start. I always start it with it in 1st gear, clutch in and turned ignition. however, today when i did that at sports authority it didnt start. I'm sure the battery works fine cuz when it wasnt starting, the radio and fan still works. (i dont have power windows or locks). Ohhh and when i turn the ignition to start the car there is no sounds. no clicking of the starter. :/ im not sure if its the starter or the clutch. but with the current mileage it doesnt make sense that the clutch would be worn out or the starter.

Any ideas?

The car does have a custom alarm system installed by the previous owner. To me i think that might be causing a problem with the relay to start the car. I've experience this problem in my previous car. there was a relay connected to the relay that starts the car when someone installed a custom alarm system. I figured id ask around here first before deciding to bring it to the mechanic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

-Marc
biggyjiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
The Custom alarm could very well be causing it as ive seen that before too.. Id check the cable to the starter to make sure it has a good connection.. Ive never had a manual car but it has to be in neutral or the clutch engaged to start, im assuming there is a switch somewhere for this? But all in all, an aftermarket alarm will always be at the top of the list to check out..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
biggyjiggy

Thanks ill check it out! :)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyjiggy View Post
For some odd reason the car runs perfectly fine but then sometimes when i try to start my car it doesnt turn on.
There is a switch on the clutch pedal (safety feature on the Yaris) and if it is not depressed ALL THE WAY .. the car will not start.

But I have discovered it is very simple (and no fault of the car) .... I have "winter floor mats" in my car and they are quite deep and sometimes they prevent the clutch from being fully depressed. I turn the key and nothing happens just as described. It took me a while to determine what the problem was .. and like you I was thinking something was wrong with the car.

So I just have to be careful and make sure I am depressing the clutch "all the way" and the car starts just fine.

Last edited by edmscan; 06-24-2012 at 11:45 PM.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
biggyjiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
There is a switch on the clutch pedal (safety feature on the Yaris) and if it is not depressed ALL THE WAY .. the car will not start.

But I have discovered it is very simple (and no fault of the car) .... I have "winter floor mats" in my car and they are quite deep and sometimes they prevent the clutch from being fully depressed. I turn the key and nothing happens just as described. It took me a while to determine what the problem was .. and like you I was thinking something was wrong with the car.

So I just have to be careful and make sure I am depressing the clutch "all the way" and the car starts just fine.

so are u suggesting to check the floor mats and turn off the safety switch?
im not sure if i have the winter floor mats like u. i think i have the carpeted all season ones. ill be sure to check it tomorrow morning :)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyjiggy View Post
so are u suggesting to check the floor mats and turn off the safety switch?
im not sure if i have the winter floor mats like u. i think i have the carpeted all season ones.
Your case may be different .. but the cause is probably the same. I was perplexed when I couldn't start my Yaris. But it was really that the pedal wasn't being pressed far enough.

I wouldn't remove the switch (even if you could) ... as it is a safety feature if the car is in gear so that it will not go any where. Especially if you like to start your car while it is in gear.

So .. just be aware that you may not be pressing the pedal in as far as is needed. I am pretty sure that this is probably the cause of your problems. Been there ... did that. But now that I am aware of the issue .. I just make sure I press it all the way, and no more problems.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
biggyjiggy

mmkay thanks that makes sense.

I just checked the mat right now and the pedal does not make contact with the mat. (i used my hands and felt where the clutch was making contact and at the place it was making contact the rug is not there)

ill double check in the daylight.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
biggyjiggy

I got the car checked out. I got the alarm taken out and it turns out that the battery of the car is bad. Seems about right since the car is like 5 years old and hasn't been used much.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
edmscan

Good to see that you got your car fixed .. having car issues are never fun no matter how small they may be.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
biggyjiggy

Hi guys! i guess the battery was a contributing factor butt... My car still has problems starting... actually more so than ever. It started happening again saturday.. it wouldnt start for an hour then i walked back inside the house for a lil bit and came back out to start it and bammm it started up!! wtf!! right??? lol anyways i was getting anxious but decided to look it over it was probably like a temporary thing i just got the battery replaced...

Next day

I went to winco to buy some stuff for me and my gfs picnic and then i tried to start the car.... nothing, car is unresponsive :( the only thing that works is the accessory(radio, fan, ac, defroster, lights on dash, wipers) i dont understand why it wouldnt start...

Then I noticed something..

When the lights on the dash (the MPH gauges and gas tank gauge) are on while pushing in the clutch and turning the ignition the car starts.... however when i push in my clutch and turn the ignition the lights automatically shut off once the clutch is pressed and then the car does not start :/

I also noticed that when i push the safety button (for the clutch) seperately from pushing it with the clutch it does the same thing (lights on dash turn off) sooooo im guessing this safety button underneath the clutch may have something to do with my car not starting.

Does anyone know of or heard of this happening before with their yari?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
edmscan

I still maintain that it is your clutch switch .. and yes if there are no gauge lights the car will not start. You have to wait until you have gauge lights and then you can try to start it.

The only time I have problems with my car not starting it is cause I don't have the clutch pushed all the way in.