Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
oldschool54

Drives: 2009 Yaris Liftback
Unhappy Getting the one I want!

I've been browsing through some of the new purchase threads and I'm starting to get a little worried. I'm reading how some options, colors, body styles are very hard to get. My intention is to order a black, 3 door liftback "S", 5speed, with the power package. How hard will this be? What's been the wait for and ordered car? I've been to two dealers so far and one seemed to be ready to order everthing I wanted, but I started to feel a "bait and switch" coming on. My question is, am I asking the impossible or should this go smoothly and I'm worrying for nothing? Thanks for any stories, advice, opinion.
oldschool54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool54 View Post
I've been browsing through some of the new purchase threads and I'm starting to get a little worried. I'm reading how some options, colors, body styles are very hard to get. My intention is to order a black, 3 door liftback "S", 5speed, with the power package. How hard will this be? What's been the wait for and ordered car? I've been to two dealers so far and one seemed to be ready to order everthing I wanted, but I started to feel a "bait and switch" coming on. My question is, am I asking the impossible or should this go smoothly and I'm worrying for nothing? Thanks for any stories, advice, opinion.
I think you can get pretty close to whatever you are looking for provided you are willing to wait for a preference match. I got close to what I wanted (minus alloys and plus center armrest and mats) and I was able to get that out of the first allocation. See if the dealer will let you sit down with the inventory manager. I was able to find out a ton of info about what was coming in to the region (colors, options, etc.) from my dealer's inventory manager.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Join the club, oldschool. I want a simple, pared-down, no-frills, base three-door automatic and want to pay a BASE price for it, but after going on "Build Your Own" on the Toyota site, looks like I *must* choose one of three option packages... If you choose the third, you pay for a rear-window defroster TWICE (once in the convenience package and again in the all-weather package); I can get cruise, which is the one add-on I might consider since I do a lot of highway commuting, but I can't get that without also getting "keyless entry," which I DON'T want. It's very confusing and I have yet to get a price to work with when I go in to order. Best of luck...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Join the club, oldschool. I want a simple, pared-down, no-frills, base three-door automatic and want to pay a BASE price for it, but after going on "Build Your Own" on the Toyota site, looks like I *must* choose one of three option packages... If you choose the third, you pay for a rear-window defroster TWICE (once in the convenience package and again in the all-weather package); I can get cruise, which is the one add-on I might consider since I do a lot of highway commuting, but I can't get that without also getting "keyless entry," which I DON'T want. It's very confusing and I have yet to get a price to work with when I go in to order. Best of luck...
My dealer warned me that the online system has some issues. Besides the quirks like you mentioned, it is supposedly not configured correctly for the regional standards (for example all Yaris coming up here get the all weather package). I think your best bet is to find a dealer that will work with you, without just tying to pressure you into buying one of the few that they know is headed for them.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
halfpint330

Drives: 09 Yaris LB S
Quote:
I think your best bet is to find a dealer that will work with you, without just tying to pressure you into buying one of the few that they know is headed for them.
I agree...After much searching (pretty much when Toyota announced pricing of 2009s), finally found someone who knew what they were talking about and even had a list of what was coming in on their first shipment. Many sales people didn't even bother doing any research for me and tried to sell me a Corolla. If you're persistent in your search you'll eventually get what you want or at the least very close. Good luck in everyone's Yaris-search!
halfpint330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
kmfuse87

Drives: Blue '08 Yaris Liftback S
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool54 View Post
The blue color in the picture below isn't offered in CT. They told me it was then tried the signature bait and switch. I ended up going through 3 levels of management maybe 4 (Can't really remember). Filed some complaints. In the end, they got me what i wanted, and delivered to my local shop. The only thing was i had to "order" it through a shop in California (Where the color is offered by toyota). It took a while yes, but it's a bigger investment too. Happy Hunting and good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfuse87 View Post
The blue color in the picture below isn't offered in CT. They told me it was then tried the signature bait and switch. I ended up going through 3 levels of management maybe 4 (Can't really remember). Filed some complaints. In the end, they got me what i wanted, and delivered to my local shop. The only thing was i had to "order" it through a shop in California (Where the color is offered by toyota). It took a while yes, but it's a bigger investment too. Happy Hunting and good luck.
didn't they discontinue the blazing blue color for the 09's? Pretty sure they replaced it with the yellow. But anywho, I wanted a white S 5-speed with power package and it took about 4 months, but I ended up with exactly what I wanted. If you have the time, put down a deposit and wait for it.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
didn't they discontinue the blazing blue color for the 09's? Pretty sure they replaced it with the yellow. But anywho, I wanted a white S 5-speed with power package and it took about 4 months, but I ended up with exactly what I wanted. If you have the time, put down a deposit and wait for it.
My 09's Blazing Blue - They changed the color name from BB Metallic to BB Pearl.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I throw away $2000 per year easy on cigarettes,booze,and extra stuff I really don't need.
I don't understand all the stressing about buying the power package.
If you keep the car 5 years,the package costs you about $1 a day,and saves twice as much on gas.
Get the color and style you want,and stop worrying about some paper.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfuse87 View Post
I tried a couple of CT Toyota dealers and kept getting the run around. A buddy of mine who is the sales manager for a Ford dealership in CT hooked me up with a dealer in MA that he bought his Corolla from.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My 09's Blazing Blue - They changed the color name from BB Metallic to BB Pearl.
oh ok, guess I'm mixing it up with some other color they discontinued.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The "build your own" option is a joke because it makes people believe that they can "special order" a Yaris when in reality they can't. I was told that all Yaris's in my area come with the $349 Vehicle sheild package so sometimes you have to compromise and take what is available.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
oldschool54

Drives: 2009 Yaris Liftback
UK Yaris

I knew I shouldn't, but I did. I went to the UK Yaris site and you should see all the different (and cool) variations Yaris buyers in Britian can get. Even a 1.8L engine option. I have always envied the cars available to Brits and now even more so.
oldschool54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I believe Toyota needs the yaris fuel economy to offset the average fleet mpg to prevent fines for cafe.
Even though its probably only a couple mpg's
If it weren't for this we would probably have the 1.8 option.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm