Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
TubbusMaximus

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
2008 Yaris Misfiring Code Issues

Hello all. We are beyond stressed with our Yaris and are turning to the community for assistance. Our car has been taken to 3 mechanics, all of whom cannot pinpoint the issue. The car has also been brought in to Toyota directly and even they have no idea what is happening

So back in November 2016 we were noticing the Yaris was starting poorly. Very choppy for a few seconds but would clean up fairly quickly, about 3-5 seconds. Over time, this progressed and worsened to the point where the check engine light flashes upon first startup of the day and would take about 15 seconds to clear up the choppiness. There is also a heavy smell of gasoline that lasts about 2-4 minutes. Once the car warms up though, the stuttering and misfiring of the engine is gone, the gas smell has dissipated.

We had the codes checked and received misfiring codes P000, P001, P003, P004. So the last 2 months we have had all the ignition coils checked, spark plugs cleaned and checked for oil spill or residue (no oil leaks), throttle body and sensor cleaned and checked, mass air intake sensor cleaned and checked. After this, we were only receiving codes P003 and P004. We were then told the issue was the fuel injectors. So today we had all 4 fuel injectors replaced with new ones. The fuel rail is in good shape as well. The car unfortunately is still starting as poorly as it was before.

At this point, we no longer know where or how to proceed. We have spent over a grand on diagnosis and parts and are thinking about trashing the car and taking the loss. We still owe $4000 on the car so we really wanted to get it fixed but not sure it's worth it any longer.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this? There doesn't seem to be an issue with air or spark. We're lead to believe it is a fuel issue because of the heavy smell of gas. Thanks for your time in reading this. We hope you can help.

Derek and Tammy
TubbusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
lupetnen
scph/jdmuph

Drives: toyota vios ncp42
might have to check your fuel pump sir. filter might be clogged up
lupetnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Has a compression check been performed?

Does it only do this on cold starts, or after sitting for a certain amount of time?

Are all temp sensors reading the same temps after the car has been sitting over night?

Did they check if any valves are sticking open?

Did they perform a check of the VVT-i system?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Headgasket

Misfire at start up was my confirmation of Corolla headgasket failure. Guessing misfires throw codes in Yaris? And unburnt fuel fumes come out tailpipe? And all individual components still test good? And HG is a dumb thing that can't throw code. (Not saying HG is your problem.)
Unfortunate that all work wasn't at Toyota Dealer, because that's probably their excuse for BEING UNABLE TO DIAGNOSE A LATE MODEL TOYOYA. Where, had the dealer done everything, OP's post 1 should be mailed to Toyota headquarters.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
the smell of fuel can always be due to the misfire letting unburned fuel into the exhaust hence the smell. Not necessarily an injector just because of a fuel smell
Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
TubbusMaximus

@tmontague

"the smell of fuel can always be due to the misfire letting unburned fuel into the exhaust hence the smell. Not necessarily an injector just because of a fuel smell"

True, but wouldn't the car consistently misfire if it was directly a misfiring issue? I've been led to believe that from the mechanics I've seen. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
TubbusMaximus

@Bluevitz-rs

Has a compression check been performed? Yes, one of the first tests completed

Does it only do this on cold starts, or after sitting for a certain amount of time? The starts are always worse the colder it is. The car won't start if it's below -11 degrees celcius. The warmer it is, the easier the start

Are all temp sensors reading the same temps after the car has been sitting over night? I am unsure of this so I'm led to believe this has never been checked

Did they check if any valves are sticking open? No, they said that would cost a lot of money to complete and were focused on fuel issues due to the smell

Did they perform a check of the VVT-i system? Toyota did this when I brought it to them
Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
TubbusMaximus

@lupetnen

"might have to check your fuel pump sir. filter might be clogged up"

Likely next on the list.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Misfire are often intermittent. I've personally had cars only misfire under load at low rpm's as well as off and on every few drives. The later one was on my '02 Echo and was due to moisture somehow entering the spark plug hole.

Rarely due misfired just go from proper functioning to always failing and misfiring. Commonly they will be intermittent, this can also help point you in a certain direction.

As a side my old Echo would turn over but not run when it dropped below 0 degrees. It ended up being an old battery that was wearing out, no other symptoms and it cranked perfectly fine. I never had any misfires, but something to keep in mind none the less
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
TubbusMaximus

Thanks

Thanks for your input everybody. It's clear this is an issue that demands the engine to be taken apart; annoying and costly diagnosis that unfortunately doesn't have a backdoor or cheap fix. I may go from cheapest to most expensive and see if it gets fixed along the way
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Instead of cleaning the plugs, replace them.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
la_scanner

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
What ended up being the issue?
la_scanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 yaris, check engine light, fuel smell, misfire