Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Phatdonkey78

Drives: 2007 Hatch
Low RPM growl/rattle

I have a 2007 hatch automatic. I got new wheels and tires in July. The car was in bad shape when I got it. Lots of suspension parts were replaced to get the alignment right and all. The original wheels look like they were driven thru Falluja at 100 MPH with dings all over. It had newer tires on it but hit so many pot holes they were blistered all over.

So after new wheels and tires I started to notice a slight rattle kinda sound at low RPM. The sound happens in all gears (automatic) but only at low RPM. No idea what exact RPM. I would assume around 1200 to 1500. Over that it goes away. It doesn't do it in neutral or park. Only under load. Assuming it was a pulley I removed the serp belt and went just down the road. Completely quiet. It has been slowly getting worse since July.

Spinning the alternator pulley with the belt off makes a slight clicking sound and spins very freely (charging fine). No pulley slack or anything but a ticking when spinning it by hand. Didn't climb under to check the ac pulley or water pump pulley. I ordered a non ac belt and will throw it on Sunday to rule out the ac compressor.

Has anyone else had this issue or any ideas of what to try?
Phatdonkey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
The heat shield on the exhaust manifold ia known to develop rattles.

It's best to check when the engine is cold and avoid possible burnt hands. Look at the back of the engine and you will see a sheet metal heat shield that is bolted to the exhaust manifold. Take hold of it and gently check for any free play.

Last edited by kevinj93; 11-27-2019 at 06:59 PM.
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
The heat shiled on the exhaust manifold ia known to develop rattles.

It's best to check when the engine is cold and avoid possible burnt hands. Look at the back of the engine and you will see a sheet metal heat shield that is bolted to the exhaust manifold. Take hold of it and gently check for any free play.
I've ripped all 3 of my exhaust manifold heat shields off due to rattles. They tend to rust out around the bolts that hold them on.

Another thing to check is any and all other heat shielding. They aren't the sturdiest and are a common source of rattles on many cars

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
Phatdonkey78

Thanks for the info. I replaced the exhaust donut back in april and had to take the whole manifold out to heat up the broken donut gasket bolts. When I was in there I replaced the heat shield since I had it out. This sound is almost like a bad wheel bearing kind of rumble with a rattle sound. I will try to get some audio of it today. Ill also check each pulley today as well.

All other heat shields are good to go. I have them all rewrapped with worm gear clamps.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Phatdonkey78

I figured the issue out.

I ordered the non AC belt to rule out the AC compressor. When it arrived and I went to install it I noticed something. The alternator was cocked just a bit. When I loosened the belt tension bolt, the alternator was really loose. Turns out the pivot bolt the holds the alternator to the ear on the engine block had backed itself out. It was about 3 threads away from being gone.

I snugged it up and then reset the belt tension and tightened the pivot bolt down. Took it for a quick spin around the block and she is nice and quiet.

I guess it had been loose for a while and only got really loose recently. Which makes sense since the sound got worse the last few days.