Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
AMP

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Wiper Motor to Wiper Transmission Connection

Hi all,

Just joined and excited to be a part of this community.

I'll get straight to it. Last week I switched out the wiper motor since the old one stopped working. I put everything back together and the wiper system was working great....for 60 seconds. The new motor still worked, however the wipers were not moving at all.

Upon disassembling, I noticed the teeth on the wiper transmission that connect to the wiper motor spindle were almost fully stripped, which was pretty discouraging. I could only attribute this to two assumptions:

1. I did not connect the motor to the transmission correctly.
2. Wiper transmission is old and the new wiper motor was too much for the transmission teeth to handle.

I bought a new Denso transmission, but want to make sure this was not user error so that this does not happen again. Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any tips/wisdom to provide me?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.
AMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Can you link pics from offsite? I'm not sure I follow which part is stripped. Did you by chance mark the arms before taking them off the shafts to make sure you had the alignment correct when you put them back on? Might be they were in the wrong orientation and couldn't move, or possibly the linkage is damaged and won't fully cycle?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
AMP

Thanks for the reply. I’ll take a picture of it tomorrow after work. And I didn’t mark the arms before removing them, but I don’t think that’s where the problem lies as they were working perfectly fine initially and didn’t seem to be stuck or moving slowly.

The pic I upload tomorrow should shed more light on what I am referring to.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
AMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Can you link pics from offsite? I'm not sure I follow which part is stripped. Did you by chance mark the arms before taking them off the shafts to make sure you had the alignment correct when you put them back on? Might be they were in the wrong orientation and couldn't move, or possibly the linkage is damaged and won't fully cycle?
New part came in so I just took pictures of that for now to show what I was referring to.

Attached pictures show the part that I was talking about. It is the bare metal member who’s end goes onto the wiper motor spindle (circled in red). What I’m now confused about is I could have sworn the inside walls of that hole shouldn’t be smooth as pictured, and should have teeth in order to align with the teeth on the wiper motor spindle. Am I not understanding something here?

Sorry if the pics don’t come out too well, camera isn’t that great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30A865CB-947A-402F-92EE-52BEB2C37A4C.jpg (72.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg F36AFEB7-F492-4CD8-8BE3-1F5F90568520.jpg (61.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's possible that the splines on the motor shaft cut into the arm when bolted together. The rear wiper arm does that, might be the same on the front arms. If the splines on the motor shaft are stripped, it would definitely stop the whole thing from working as soon as any load was applied (i.e. windshield goes dry and blades start dragging).
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
AMP

Guess I will be finding out today. It must be a very delicate setup since installing the new wiper motor quickly stripped the splines that were already cut into the old wiper transmission arm.

Hoping that with a new motor and linkage that I have no further problems. I do not think the splines on the new motor are stripped.

Will be letting you know! Thanks again.

Tags
motor, transmission, wiper