Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
lh59

Drives: 3 dr 1.3 2NZ
BP Ultimate means engine quicker warm-up?

I filled up my 1.3 auto Yaris yesterday with BP Ultimate. This is the first time I'm using premium fuel since petrol price has gone down a bit and I just want to try it for fun. This morning, I noticed that my cool engine light went off about 30% quicker than it normally took when I use regular unleaded. Not sure whether this is due to the premium fuel. Have anyone experienced this as well? I didn't notice any difference in the power though. Might be because I rarely rev my engine beyond 2500rpm. Will keep a close look at the cool engine light tomorrow again to double check.
lh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Yeah I run premium and it seems a little faster to heat up now ,probably since premium burns hotter. I have noticed not so much a power increase but an increase in the smoothness of the motor it purrs nicer^-^
Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
If you are going to throw your money away just for fun you may as well read how useless higher octane fuel is for the motor not designed for it.
http://www.baileycar.com/gasoline_html.html

Guess it was the word ULTIMATE that got youThe guys at BP are laughing all the way to the bank.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
this subject has been beaten to death too many times to count. if a person wants to put premium fuel in his tank and you don't agree just keep it to yourself........

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
lh59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
I filled up my 1.3 auto Yaris yesterday with BP Ultimate. This is the first time I'm using premium fuel since petrol price has gone down a bit and I just want to try it for fun. This morning, I noticed that my cool engine light went off about 30% quicker than it normally took when I use regular unleaded. Not sure whether this is due to the premium fuel. Have anyone experienced this as well? I didn't notice any difference in the power though. Might be because I rarely rev my engine beyond 2500rpm. Will keep a close look at the cool engine light tomorrow again to double check.
The cool engine light turn off about 30% faster again this morning. I guess I need to include that BP Ultimate can indeed provide quicker warm-up. Having said all that, I'll be switching back to regular unleaded on my next refill. I think the price difference is too much to pay for the quicker warm-up. I bought the premium fuel more as an experiment rather than long term use.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
jambo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
this subject has been beaten to death too many times to count. if a person wants to put premium fuel in his tank and you don't agree just keep it to yourself........
Maybe if you dont like the subject you can just pass on by it rather than offering your equally redundant "beaten to death" $0.02
Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe if you dont like the subject you can just pass on by it rather than offering your equally redundant "beaten to death" $0.02
FUNNY seeing as im one of the ones who wastes money on the premium gas......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Same here, all I run is premium!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Take your own advice! This same original thread topic has been discussed many times before. So why do you keep wasting thread space?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
jambo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Take your own advice! This same original thread topic has been discussed many times before. So why do you keep wasting thread space?
Because i'm not whining about how often this topic arises and have no problem discussing topics that have arisen before.Such as why people throw good money away on the mistaken belief that somehow higher octane gasoline is beneficial to a cars engine thats designed to run on regular octane gas,the only benefit i can see is the gas companies making more money on top of their already obscene profits.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Because i'm not whining about how often this topic arises and have no problem discussing topics that have arisen before.Such as why people throw good money away on the mistaken belief that somehow higher octane gasoline is beneficial to a cars engine thats designed to run on regular octane gas,the only benefit i can see is the gas companies making more money on top of their already obscene profits.
Exactly....what you posted has been "beaten to death"
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
Logically, the type of fuel used should have no noticeable bearing on the time the car takes to warm up. I believe it is probably due more so to the warmer ambient temperatures that we are having at present helping the coolant warm up quicker.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
It is exceedingly foolish to run premium in the Yaris. A very small displacement engine, not having high compression, nor turbo...and in fact running premium may well cause the engine to make less power, as it is not tuned for that octane. The speed-racers, boy-racers, often those under 28 years of age run premium...it makes up for voids in their lives, sadly, and is funny too.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
rob323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
It is exceedingly foolish to run premium in the Yaris. A very small displacement engine, not having high compression, nor turbo...and in fact running premium may well cause the engine to make less power, as it is not tuned for that octane. The speed-racers, boy-racers, often those under 28 years of age run premium...it makes up for voids in their lives, sadly, and is funny too.
An interesting opinion, and very different to mine and that of a lot of other rally competitors I know.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
$0.02.....LMFAO!!!

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
lh59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
Logically, the type of fuel used should have no noticeable bearing on the time the car takes to warm up. I believe it is probably due more so to the warmer ambient temperatures that we are having at present helping the coolant warm up quicker.
The quicker engine warm-up is what I observed during the past 4 days. I'll take a note again on the engine warm-up period when I switch back to regular unleaded. Like I said, I'm doing this just as an experiment, and I'm not going to stick with premium considering the price difference.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
rob323

Please do, it will be an interesting characteristic of a higher octane fuel if the warm up time goes back to normal with the regular octane jungle juice.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #18
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
i love premium gas.... yes its more expensive, wastes faster, and isnt really made for this car but.... it DOES clean out your engine and will improve mpg in the long-run... this is facts not an opinion so dont shoot the messenger

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote