Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Strut bar - To preload or not to preload that is the question

So. I had the oppertunity to drive my car without preloading and then preloading the strut bar. Story goes was trying to install my strut bar in my driveway with only basic hand tools and my cars own floor jack. jacked up one side and put my hand under the fender and slipped the bolts in and tightend them from the top. I can say after going for a test drive it made a real big difference.

After driving for awile i put the car on a lift today and then took off one end of the strut bar and it was dificult to pull off. Once off it wouldnt go back in easily being it was under tension while being installed. But not the kind you would want. I could actually turn one of the ends maybe 4 full turns. Reinserted it back and tightend the nuts up. Now the bar is under a slight tension. Put the car back down and went for a spin. All i can say is wow. I couldnt belive that it owuld make that much difference.

If you dont have acess to a rack easy way is just jack up the front of the car to relive the load off the strut towers when you install the strut bar. It is worth the extra effort.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I was wondering if this would make a difference. Now I have to buy a strut tower bar.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Yeah its well worth the money. Plus garm has them on sale now for $99 shipped!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Tanabe recommends doing that too.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Thats the bar that i have. I notice when i tried to remove the bolt after lifting it up. Its like it was trying to unload itself cause of the opposite tension from being installed and tensioned on the ground. Maybe about a 1/2 a inch of movement. I twisted the end of the strut bar several turns to take out that 1/2 inch slack now that its install that way its properly preloaded.