Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
TWM short shifters

Do they actually reduce the throw of the shift or do they just reduce the throw by cutting down the height? I bought one of the shifter extensions from Cali yaris which is awesome but if I plan on adding that onto one of these short shifters wouldn't the just be a waste of money equivalent to the stock shifter without the extension?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it lengthens the arm slightly underneath, so you'd still have some (but not much) SSK action with the extensions, but it's really gonna be trivial, and IMO just not worth it...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
TWM Performance

Drives: 84 GTI, 90 GTR, 97 Si
Our Yaris short shifter reduces the shift throw with re-located pivot points as well as a shortened total height. This is what makes a real short shifter compared to only cutting the top part of the shifter.

Frank
TWM Performance
TWM Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I have a TRD SSK and personally I wish I would have went with a TWM short shifter.

I just want my stock shifter to be shorter instead of just shorter throw.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i got the ssk and cut my stock by 2.7 inches plus bent it slightly towards me.. took 2 days for me to get use it on the first day i almost hated the set up due to i can tell which gear im on i almost wanted to take it off but took so long to put it one so i gave it a couple of days..but 3 days of getting use to im lovin it.. its been a month..my review is i wont go back to stock..

heres the link..
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=short+shifter
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i got the ssk and cut my stock by 2.7 inches plus bent it slightly towards me.. took 2 days for me to get use it on the first day i almost hated the set up due to i can tell which gear im on i almost wanted to take it off but took so long to put it one so i gave it a couple of days..but 3 days of getting use to im lovin it.. its been a month..my review is i wont go back to stock..

heres the link..
Looks really good Marcus. Exactly what I need to do.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

good luck.!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post

heres the link..

I hear this is what a lot of NST SSK owners have been doing. Looks good Marcus!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
I hear this is what a lot of NST SSK owners have been doing. Looks good Marcus!

thanks by the way im loving the nst ssk..
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Sorry if I'm hijacking. I was just wondering if the nst ssk would work with the twm shifter or would that make the throw to short? Is anyone running this set-up or both nst short shifters in bay and in cab? Thank you and again sorry if I'm hijacking.
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
33OH

I believe ChinoCharles is running both. It would just make for an extremely short and stiff shift.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Sorry if I'm hijacking. I was just wondering if the nst ssk would work with the twm shifter or would that make the throw to short? Is anyone running this set-up or both nst short shifters in bay and in cab? Thank you and again sorry if I'm hijacking.
my shifter is shorter...than twm... i believe their shifter is 2.4 inch shorter that stock my was cut 2.7 inch and its with nst ssk as well you need a day or two to get use to it..
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Well I love my TWM SS and it being low looks sportier to me And yes it's a shorter throw cuase of the pivot position so even if you extend it it'll still be a shorter throw, I also have the NST SSK they are 2 diferent things so it shouldn't be compared side by side in any way with NST items it depends your taste and needs.
Also got my NST cable bushings and TWM cage bushings. The only thing I can say is that it's SICK and STIFF! I just love and it's just like I wanted it to be.