Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Survailence Cameras

At work about ten years ago they installed "security cameras". They said they were so management could monitor for "sabatage".

Turns out they are using them to watch us.

Is there any way of disrutping these things? Can you generate a frequency that would jamb them?

Has anyone found a good way to disable things like this?

What about the law? Is this legal?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As long as they post notifications that they are using video surveillance it is perfectly legal.

Chances are that they are wired, rather than wireless cameras, so there would not be much that you could do to jam them without actually sabotaging them.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
bronsin

They havnt posted any notices that we are aware of.

When they installed them they said the town was shutting down power that weekend and there was no OT. We were working 7 days a week then.

They have denied they are using the cameras to monitor us.

That is a lie. The director of HR and the manager of manufacturing can control the cameras on their computer monitors. We know this from people who work in facilities.

Also I was given the wrong job by my boss. I was supposed to be doing something else. The mamager came out and asked me why wasnt I doing the other job (which was hot) The only way he could have known was by the cameras.

It is what it is. We dont like it but if its legal what can we do?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
The way I understand it, if it's in/on their own property, the have the right to do so. We have cameras set up all over our office, and while they're main purpose is for theft investigation, it gets used for monitoring performance/work/etc. While nothing is specifically posted stating so, it's just common knowledge that's assumed.

As much as you feel it's unfair, it's the company's right. I assume you're probably in an at-will employment state, so (not to be a jerk) you can leave if you're that uncomfortable about it.

As far as the confrontation with your boss/manager, next time you're asked to do a job you're not normally assigned to, get it in writing, be it e-mail or otherwise. You also have the right to record conversations, no disclaimer need be given if it's in person, only over the phone.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Actually it looks like notification is not even required:

"Employers may also use cameras to monitor employee productivity and prevent internal theft. Currently, federal law does not prevent video monitoring even when the employee does not know or consent to being monitored."
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
bronsin

Ita a grey legal area at least in NJ.

They do deny they are watching us. But we know they are.

If its legal why deny it?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Ita a grey legal area at least in NJ.

They do deny they are watching us. But we know they are.

If its legal why deny it?
Same reason why politicians deny so much that they do....because they can.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I dont blame them. Id want eyes on my workers to make sure they are not slacking off. Im paying them to make me money. Not goof off or do side jobs. Not saying you are but if u are doing what you are suppose to do then it shouldn't matter. Til u see cameras in the bathroom of course.

One person taking advantage a system it can ruin it for those who do the right thing. If they cant catch them red handed. Then u gotta watch everyone. This could work to ur advantage and they notice that u go beyond ur job duties for the company.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Same reason why politicians deny so much that they do....because they can.
I agree. Now that Obama has been reelected, and the Democrats have control of the Senate until at least January of 2015, I don't think he even cares about pretending to care what anyone else wants. He knows that pretty much whatever he does, even if the House impeached him, the Senate wouldn't convict him in a trial.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
PUT MASK ON, GLOVES AND SNEAK AROUND IT THEN CUT THE CORDS lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Bronsin, just curious -- how do you know they are actively watching you? And not just passively recording into a DVR?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #12
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
At work about ten years ago they installed "security cameras". They said they were so management could monitor for "sabatage".

Turns out they are using them to watch us.

Is there any way of disrutping these things? Can you generate a frequency that would jamb them?

Has anyone found a good way to disable things like this?

What about the law? Is this legal?

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MLIS1HCETQ Try this

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Bronsin, just curious -- how do you know they are actively watching you? And not just passively recording into a DVR?
They do record everything to DVD.

The director of manufacturing and the guy in charge of HR can control any camera from their computer in their office. We know this from the maintenance people who installed the system. They can zoom in on any employee they choose.

One night I came to work and I was the only one there. Only the guard saw me come in. No one else. I sat down. I had nothing to do so I sat there for two hours. My boss was supposed to give me a hot job but didnt. The director of manufacturing came out the double doors leading into the high bays. Its like working in a big shoe box. He walked right up to me and asked me why I wasnt working. I told him. He went and got the boss out of his cubicle and gave me the job.

The only way he could have known I wasnt working was the camera system.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Monitor me? Colour me gone. The company brought in one of those old-fashioned "time and motion study twerps, and I told him to buzz off. I had studied that job every way possible, and there was no way to improve it without sacrifying quality, and I was not going to compromise that. My reaction to electronic monitoring would be exactly the same, spraypaint the camera lenses, and go find another job with a company that trusts me.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
bronsin

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) Im here 34 years, am obscenely overpaid, have excellent benefits, and a 401k that gets fatter every year.

I would just be shooting myself in the foot to leave.

They have hired lots of young people, all excellent workers, pay them less than I make. Why they dont resent me I cant imagine Must be they watched Barney as kids. ("I love you, you love me...")

Im sure the company would like nothing better than to get rid of me!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #16
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) Im here 34 years, am obscenely overpaid, have excellent benefits, and a 401k that gets fatter every year.

I would just be shooting myself in the foot to leave.

They have hired lots of young people, all excellent workers, pay them less than I make. Why they dont resent me I cant imagine Must be they watched Barney as kids. ("I love you, you love me...")

Im sure the company would like nothing better than to get rid of me!
In that case go to management and put in a workplace bullying claim, or claim racism or claim sexual harassment cause the cameras are staring at your privates..... Be creative.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its the rare large company these days that doesnt have surveillance on and in its property, just part of modern times and the available technology.
Lately i've been hearing we're all being monitored by heavily armed drones.also saw a news documentary on just how far satellite surveillance technology has come,they can definitely read your plate number from space.
Then theres your cell phone which can give an interested party just about any information they want.
I'd say company security cameras are the least of your worries.