Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
The great NYT/Tesla brouhaha of 2013

Don't know how many have seen this.

It appears Tesla gave one of it's cars to a NYT's reporter to do a long range test drive and report back on their super charging stations etc.

Well the reporter was less than impressed and actually had the $101K car die on him in CT. and wrote about it, Tesla cried foul and then the fun ensued.

There are lots of articles out on this right now I have linked just the following:

Tesla Chairman Elon Musk's retort to the article here

And another article defending the reporter here

I really enjoyed the comments in the second.

My two cents - I think the reporter wanted it to die, had 61 miles to go and left the charging station with the range saying 32.

cheers.

Last edited by NEexpat; 02-14-2013 at 07:32 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Don't know how many have seen this.

It appears Tesla gave one of it's cars to a NYT's reporter to do a long range test drive and report back on their super charging stations etc.

Well the reporter was less than impressed and actually had the $101K car die on him in CT. and wrote about it, Tesla cried foul and then the fun ensued.

There are lots of articles out on this right now I have linked just the following:

Tesla Chairman Elon Musk's retort to the article here

And another article defending the reporter here

I really enjoyed the comments in the second.

My two cents - I think the reporter wanted it to die, had 61 miles to go and left the charging station with the range saying 32.

cheers.
Either Musk didn't have enough (or any) due diligence done re Broder (which is hard to fathom), or Musk knew that Broder had an inherent bias that would trip him up so that Musk could discredit him. Only Musk knows for sure. Musk is a brilliant guy, but IMO should look at his kids as his greatest contribution and IMO he shouldn't have had 5 kids if he didn't intend to spend any time with them. He was already set for life from the sale of Zip 2 when he got married, so that was entirely his choice.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Tesla cars are PHONIES they dont go 200 miles between charges because that is IMPOSSIBLE!

Pay Pal is a RIPOFF! They left me hanging when I advanced $200 to a dude for a motorcycle then he sold it out from under me and claimed I owed him $200 for his trouble! If it wasnt for my credit card I would have been out $200!

SPACEX is going to crash and burn! Just you wait!

Believe the Times guy. Musks slippery ways are catching up with him as evidenced by his meltdown when his car broke. He owes lots of money, his stuff doesnt work, and he's headed for the looney bin!

My humble opinion of course.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Tesla cars are PHONIES they dont go 200 miles between charges because that is IMPOSSIBLE!

Pay Pal is a RIPOFF! They left me hanging when I advanced $200 to a dude for a motorcycle then he sold it out from under me and claimed I owed him $200 for his trouble! If it wasnt for my credit card I would have been out $200!

SPACEX is going to crash and burn! Just you wait!

Believe the Times guy. Musks slippery ways are catching up with him as evidenced by his meltdown when his car broke. He owes lots of money, his stuff doesnt work, and he's headed for the looney bin!

My humble opinion of course.
.....Why don't you tell us how you really feel ? I can't imagine you ever getting an ulcer (then again, I can't imagine ever getting one either).
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Broder is a shill for Big Oil. 'nuff said.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
no one on the nyt is credible in any way at all. they are all pathetic. I don't hold tesla in any high esteem either, how the hell do you make a car with a battery that can catch fire when the only real problems with hybrids since they have been sold is that the batteries can catch fire? Totally moronic.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
.....Why don't you tell us how you really feel ? I can't imagine you ever getting an ulcer (then again, I can't imagine ever getting one either).

Although I may SOUND vexxed Im really just making houmourous reading material...

I am a big fan of Space X but find it hard to reconcil the mans genious with his other endevours the Tesla electric car (a fraud and ripoff of the name of a true genius) and Pay Pal (the story I told is quite true)

The fact that PP and the Tesla are accepted by the public does not bode well for the publics intelligence.

More sarcastic wit I hope does not alienate people.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
sarcastic wit I hope does not alienate people.
If it does, then they are too sensitive (as you don't come across as mean).