Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
weird revs?

hey! it's been a while, but the yaris sedan and echo coupe have been doing well - until now that is...

my echo started having issues with the rpms at idle. i can't tell you how many it goes to(no rpm guage), but it gets pretty high. i don't have issues when i'm in gear(it's a manual), but anytime i'm in neutral i get higher revs. first, i cleaned the throttle body and the 'butterfly flapper valves'. i used standard carb cleaner as recommended by the auto parts store guy and it didn't really help - it was fun to work on the car, however.

went to the actual toyota dealership and $500 later and many trips back and forth it revs a little lower. they say they cleaned the idle control valve and cleaned everything else i already cleaned, but i'm still not sure it's much better. i really think they just wanted to get rid of me and my 15 year old car after numerous attempts to inspect/repair it.

anyways, they mentioned something about it possibly being the ecu after they pretty-much threw their hands up in the air, but that is costly for something even they couldn't guarantee would help($800ish). i did notice, however, the other day when i turn on the defroster it makes the idle rev higher than normal. it's weird, i can be sitting at a light or just warming up the car and when i switch the fan to 'defrost' it starts reving even higher and then lowers to it's regular higher-than-normal speed once i turn it back to normal.

any ideas? thanks and it's nice to still see some old names on here!!!!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Get a tach. The cheapest you can find on eBay, and hook it directly to the ODBII connector
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
get an ultra gauge or something that shows what the RPM are. Your car should idle higher with the defroster on (A/c is kicking on and even without a/c your engine load increases). The idle will also increase and sometimes cause the car to idle more rough when the fan kicks on due to higher engine temp. Stop giving your money to a dealership that charges $500 to clean a TB and an IAC, that seems ridiculously high. That being said i was just quoted at $80 for 8 rubber fuel injector O-rings from the dealership!

Clean the MAF sensor (dealership hopefully already did this) check the spark plugs for oil and it wouldn't hurt to check your plug wires. If it's not throwing a CEL then I wouldn't worry about it. With the warmer temps it could be as simple as your fan kicking in.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
get an ultra gauge or something that shows what the RPM are. Your car should idle higher with the defroster on (A/c is kicking on and even without a/c your engine load increases). The idle will also increase and sometimes cause the car to idle more rough when the fan kicks on due to higher engine temp. Stop giving your money to a dealership that charges $500 to clean a TB and an IAC, that seems ridiculously high. That being said i was just quoted at $80 for 8 rubber fuel injector O-rings from the dealership!

Clean the MAF sensor (dealership hopefully already did this) check the spark plugs for oil and it wouldn't hurt to check your plug wires. If it's not throwing a CEL then I wouldn't worry about it. With the warmer temps it could be as simple as your fan kicking in.
There are no plug wires.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I meant the part that contacts the spark plug. Not sure of their specific name.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote