Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
rmshort

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
Unhappy Stalled going 30, wont start now. 07 3dr A/T

I bought a new Bluestreak MAF sensor a few weeks ago. I was driving around all morning, and then suddenly Yari stalled shortly after leaving the house. In the 31,000ish miles I've had the car it hasn't done this, I can only suspect the MAF right?. Luckily it was only about 3 blocks. Got it back and it just kept stalling almost immediately, kind of shaking to a stop. I tried the OE Denso MAF and it would do the same thing. I went and got a new battery and MAF cleaner, took the TB off and cleaned it with CRC, and then MAF sensor then hooked up the new battery. It would crank but wouldn't crank over. Even when trying to jump it. I tried to put the old battery back in and the same results. Going to try to clean battery connections tomorrow and see if that could be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Check codes, you can also try unplugging the maf. Sometimes really bad data is worst then no data.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
rmshort

It threw a p0101 & p0102 prior to stalling, and I erased them about 30 minutes before she quit on me. Hasn't given me another since. I just went out and sprayed starting fluid in the breather hose and it started, and idled shortly after. Going to go get a jerry can of 88 and see if it could be water or bad gas in the pump. Could my fuel pump have gone out? Would that cause it to stall and then stop starting? I think its either fuel-related or intake related. and Thank you! I'll try unplugging the MAF when I put some gas in and see if she breathes!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I highly doubt the car will even run with the MAF disconnected. At least my 1.8 Corolla engine won't start with it unplugged and will stall if it's disconnected when running. It could potentially be bad gas. I had bad sputtering and misfire codes in my van this past winter. After a refill of fresh gas, the issue went away. Then again, I live where there are harsh winters and condensation in fuel station tanks is not entirely uncommon. I think the fuel pumps on these cars rarely fail. I'm using my 15 year old stock fuel pump and my car has a 1.8L and it's turbocharged. It works like a champ. Try the gas first. It may be a quick fix. You may have an electrical problem. I think recently here on the forums someone else had a faulty coil pack that caused misfires and rough running.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
rmshort

I've observed all cylinders, and none have misfired. I just replaced my plugs last week, could that have any correlation? And how can I test my coil pack?
I'll get some more 88 in and see if I can get her going. Thank you 06YarisRS! I've looked into your build many times, and dream of doing the same to mine(if only I could afford to lol.)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
rmshort

I went and got a fuel pressure gauge at O'Reilly's, hooked it up and she started right up. I couldn't get an accurate reading from the gauge because it didn't have the adapter I needed(had every adapter for Ford, GMC, and Chevy) so I took it off and started her back up. No stalling or shaking. Ok, good. I got in and tried to take her around the block and now my power steering's difficult. Turns slightly in park, but if I go too fast it jerks it back to center, but won't budge in drive. What the hell is going on?0
Old 05-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
rmshort

Replaced battery terminals today and it seems issues have stopped. The O.E. terminals were badly corroded, but I didn't think it would have been the source of my troubles..