Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan

Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Thanks Tuckevalastin. Looks . How long ago did you paint it? Any problems with paint peel or flaking? What process did you use to paint the chrome?
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Thanks for the pic YarisSedan, I like it! My wifes 09' Corolla has it already body color from the factory. When I'm done, the only chrome will be on the Toyota emblems and the Vios badge. For me, just the right amount of bling.

I'm also thinking about a light smoke on my tail lights, I think it would work well with my Flint Mica paint.
I plan to smoke just the the chrome only. And the smoke the orange signals on the headlights. I just ordered a kit from ebay so ill post some pics once ig et it down.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Thanks Tuckevalastin. Looks . How long ago did you paint it? Any problems with paint peel or flaking? What process did you use to paint the chrome?

It's been done for close to a year if I remember correctly. I've had absolutely no problems with peel or flaking but it was sanded, primed, and then painted.
I don't remember exactly what primer but it's held up perfectly.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #23
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Sweet. Now I can't wait to do mine

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
JayTee09
4dr=FTW

Drives: Yaris Sedan
did this today

just thought I'd share

its like a butt mustache
JayTee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #25
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i like it
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
Herbicidal

Nice. Set's yours apart from the crowd.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #27
Herbicidal

Update.

Well I finally found some time and removed the chrome strip and gave it a light sanding with some 380 grit paper, the 600 grit I tried first wasn't doing much. Then I applied several coats of a self-etching primer made by Dupli-color. After it throughly dried, I gave it a light wet sand with the 380 grit. Wiped it down, let it air dry again, then hit it with multiple light coats of body color paint. Let it dry ovenight.

Last night I bought some 1,500 wet/dry sand paper and I hope to smooth it down before hitting it with several coats of clear. We have some rain coming in a couple of days so I want to get this done before the cooler temps and high humidity arrive. I'll post up some pics when it's all done. So far, so good. Then the only chrome will be on the Vios badge, around the edges of the red 'S' badge and the Toyota emblem up front, that's it.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
no pics yet?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
no pics yet?
I was just thinking that I need to get my butt in gear and get it done. The trunk piece is painted and back on my car (I LIKE IT!). I'll shoot a picture or two now. I also have my smoked Lamin-X tail light tint, I think I'll try to put it on tomorrow and get another pic. Then I'll post 3 pics: stock, then with painted chrome trunk piece, then with the smoked tails/3rd brake light.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #30
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
no pics yet?
For those that have been following along, it's now all done and posted here with four pictures. I also did a brief write up of my experience with the Lamin-X film. Hope this helps those that are considering doing something similar. Later!