Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
My new subwoofer setup!

Ok i figured i would get this posted when i was done. It's been a long journey with the yaris, but i still kept the stock radio and am looking for a T1809 scion one so i can use the preouts. ANYWAYS lets get to the good stuff.

As some of you may know i had a small box with an MA Audio cheap subwoofer in there powered by a decent Alpine MRP-350. This setup always clipped at higher volumes and higher load, produced a little bass but wasn't enough for me.

So instead of buying a new amp i have 2 Boston Acoustic 10.5 4ohm and 2 JL Audio 10W6V2 subs lying around and figured id use one of the Boston Acoustics which was surprisingly light.

So i got to work using TinyGiant thread as an idea and a base thread. The box was honestly a bitch to build, but well worth it in the end. Had some snags and lost a drill bit so i couldn't countersink some screws and also had no carpet so i used bubly vinyl. Also use a router to cut and smooth out some handles(so much easier to drop it into place!)

Also if making this box like i did with a grill you need to enlarge the top hole to countersink the grill casing, i almost ran out of space on the wood for this as well. Alot of things were close calls and thank god for wood glue and silicone for that. but in the end i think it came out pretty good

So i went in and zeroed out all the adjustments so i can redo them properly, i still need a meter but ill wait for that. started to play with it slightly and i mean none of the knobs are even 1/4 of the settings they can be and this thing slams, i had to get out of the hatch. All of the bass is kept inside of the car with the angle and can also be felt the same when moving vs. parked.

****Cliff Notes****(and can someone resize that damn picture please)

You do not need more than One decent 10" subwoofer and a decent amp in this car for over the top bass needs
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Very inventive, grats man
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
The Architect
Give Me Resonance

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to The Architect
those cliff notes could be relative lol. waiting for finished pics though

(3) 12" Alpine Type R Subs/Hifonics BXi1208D
Hifonics ZXi6.5c / 2006 Kicker ZX350.4
Knu Fleks 1/0 Wiring & In Big 3
Optima Yellow Top Battery/Iraggi HO Alternator
Alpine CDA-105, KCA-420i/KCA-121b/KCE-400BT
PG TLD22 8V Line Driver
The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
cool man!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Heres a completed pic of it in the car, need to extend wires on the amplifier and find a better location for it the woofer shakes it all over the place :P

Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

vinyl wouldnt be my first choice. but looks like it fits really well :)
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

hahah its all i had, i need to pull it off when i get carpet and retap some of the screws so they dont show through.

Almost had a fitment problem too, it would be wise to shave a 1/4 inch or so off the box height, it just slid on the spare tire mount! and i also mad the box overall 4 inches less in width for a tighter volume. Youcan use the same method as you would need the wood for the extra cutout, but just move the side pieces in .
Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

yeah i just use black felt from the craft store. works pretty slick. if you wanted to you could cut out the sides a little more to make those cubbies underneath useable .. .. i've considered doing that myself
Old 11-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

thats a good idea, i never even thought of the black felt, but yeah i routered out the handles right above the cubbies just so i can use the handles. I was thinking of routering out a little square so i can recess and drill the amp into the side. so it doesn't just sit there...

Feel free to use my pics if you wanted to show someone how your boxes look with a grill on it.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
black felt would have been a good idea. i didn't even think about that when i made mine. i went to an upholstery shop and got actual auto fabric. i feel like a dumbass now haha
Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
stay with the vinyl. Carpet is a bitch to clean.... gets stuff in it and won't ever let go... its like velcro.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by enobmort42 View Post
black felt would have been a good idea. i didn't even think about that when i made mine. i went to an upholstery shop and got actual auto fabric. i feel like a dumbass now haha
the first box i made i bought the auto stuff. and paid a bunch for it . the felt was much cheaper and has holds up great.

the fabric on my box now is actually a thin fleece. but when i make boxes now i use the felt. If i ever redo my box it would be in the felt for sure
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #13
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I personally go for the LineX/Rhinoliner look myself... exspensive & only cost effective if you got a buddy that works for the place... or you have about 8 boxes done all at once.

If I'm only doing one box... sand, prime, sand, prime, then a few coats of Duplicolor bedliner spray. Works well... The HT sub has it right now.. and is holding up well, just don't let anybody house sit and try to clean it using a paper towel.... scrubbing with a paper towel leaves lil paper shread all over it... that took forever to clean out. wish they would've just dabbed the mess instead.

BED LINER SPRAY THO.... practically indestructable, whenever it gets dirty (which is almost never) you just wipe it down with a towel.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #14
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i love what u did!! wow man, thats exactly what i've wanted to do!! i was thinking a bit different with the sub completly under the floor as to not lose anytruck, how well do u think this would work?also, u used the stock deck right? i was looking at getting a 15inch and amp and leaving stock deck....... i can install them, i cant design them. lol. all i want is a yaris that pounds but leaves me all the truck i already dont have, lol
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i love what u did!! wow man, thats exactly what i've wanted to do!! i was thinking a bit different with the sub completly under the floor as to not lose anytruck, how well do u think this would work?also, u used the stock deck right? i was looking at getting a 15inch and amp and leaving stock deck....... i can install them, i cant design them. lol. all i want is a yaris that pounds but leaves me all the truck i already dont have, lol
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9392

directions for building the box :) check it out.