Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
New after market rotors have small nick, safe to install?

Hello everyone,

I will be replacing my brakes and rotors soon. My car has 110K miles or so and I am not entirely sure if the rotors needed replacing but I have been overdue for quite a while so I opted to do all the rotors as well.

This is my first time doing brakes (myself) and I ordered the power stop kit after seeing them have a good reputation and noticed one of the rotors has a small nick the size of a pen tip. I wonder how bad this could be long term.

I currently don’t have pictures but when I get home I can upload if that could make this easier.

Thank you
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
I would say thats more than fine to run I'm using rotors and pads I got off of an echo at the junkyard 10k miles with no problems so far. If you look at drilled/slotted rotors they have indents that go farther into the rotor than that nick you have. Id say run them.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Garfunkle View Post
I would say thats more than fine to run I'm using rotors and pads I got off of an echo at the junkyard 10k miles with no problems so far. If you look at drilled/slotted rotors they have indents that go farther into the rotor than that nick you have. Id say run them.
Thanks! I ended up hearing similar advice from another forum and put them on but I think I messed up the install or needed to clean up the parts a lot better than I did because my car is not coasting well and slows down a little. I’ll start the issue I’m having on another thread.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote