Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #19
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If you have a multimeter, check to see if you have current going to the fan with the AC on. If you get current then it is the fan motor. If no current then it could be the sensor or a relay.

You can check the fan motor another way. Connect the fan motor directly to the battery. It should work. If not then replace the motor.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 AM   #20
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
If you have a multimeter, check to see if you have current going to the fan with the AC on. If you get current then it is the fan motor. If no current then it could be the sensor or a relay.

You can check the fan motor another way. Connect the fan motor directly to the battery. It should work. If not then replace the motor.
Yeah, my brother told me that I could do these things to find out but we don't have a multimeter and I'm hesitant about doing something like connecting the fan motor to the battery myself...

Any idea on how much it would cost to fix any three of these things (motor, sensor, relay) at a dealership?

Also, is the check engine light supposed to turn on if any of those three things (fan motor, sensor, relay) wasn't working because my check engine light has never turned on?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #21
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
Yeah, my brother told me that I could do these things to find out but we don't have a multimeter and I'm hesitant about doing something like connecting the fan motor to the battery myself...
If your not comfortable testing these things yourself take the car to the dealer or a trusted shop-it'll probably be cheaper than trying to guess.

Otherwise go buy a decent multimeter and test! The multimeter will pay for itself pretty quickly-consider it an investment, and you'll have it for any future electrical issues that may arise. The folks on the forum here are very helpful and will be a great resource-you've already been given some good advise with diagnosing and how to proceed.

Whatever you choose, good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

R2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #22
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
If you don't want to run jumpers to the fan from the battery to test it I'd get a multimeter and unplug the fan. Then check for current at the connector with the ac on as suggested above by yaris-me. With current there you've narrowed it down to the fan.

Last edited by R2D2; 06-29-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Addition
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #23
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
if all your going to do is replace the sensor,you can go to any auto parts store ad pick one up yourself and your brother or you can replace it,it's not hard and doesn't take long at all
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #24
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
On eBay you can buy a multimeter for $6.90. I've cheap ones on sale for $4. I think you can buy a very simple one from Sears for $7. It is a very small investment for something you can use for anything electrical.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
yarisitis

Well I can tell you guys for sure that I'm going to take it in to get diagnosed/fixed, so it would really help if you guys would give me some idea of how much I'll get raped for to get any of the 3 problems (fan motor, sensor, relay) fixed at a dealership? Also so I know if they're trying to blow air up my ass by charging me a ridiculous amount.

So what do you guys say? Throw some estimates my way.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #26
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
how many miles are on the car? for age, it would still be under warranty... if it is still under warranty, i would think that it would be covered...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
how many miles are on the car? for age, it would still be under warranty... if it is still under warranty, i would think that it would be covered...
It's a 2008 3-door with 8k miles. I bought this car salvaged so it is not under warranty...
Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #28
yarisitis

Hey guys, I gotta question for you.

Will the fan motor for a 2007 Yaris Sedan fit and work in a 2008 Yaris HB?

The part number for the fan motor for the sedan is the same for the HB, so I'm assuming it will work?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #29
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:

The part number for the fan motor for the sedan is the same for the HB, so I'm assuming it will work?
if the part number is the same, its the same part.

its really not difficult to jump the fan to the battery, all these pre-shop diagnostics will save you money, if you go in there and say, "my fan is not working" and get it replaced, then it will save you a bit more then just going in and saying "my car is overheating" "find out what it is".
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #30
yarisitis

Quote:

Hey guys, I don't mean to ask the same question twice but can more people confirm that it will fit and work in my 2008 HB because I don't want to waste my money if the dude above is wrong (no offense).

Another question, if the sensor didn't work, wouldn't the Check Engine Light turn on?

This is the fan motor I'm thinking about buying, does it look to be in good condition?

Last edited by yarisitis; 07-30-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That fan motor will work on a Yaris LB or Sedan from 06 through 09. You really can't tell if a motor is good by looking at it. Applying power to it and watching it spin / listening for bushing/bearing noises is the easiest way to tell if its OK.

By the way, the fuse for the cooling fan is not Fan No. 2, it is RDI. Fan No. 2 is one of the two relays in the fan control circuit.

Check RDI, which is a 30A fuse in the under hood fuse panel on the driver's side (it is one of the big guys in the strip between the connectors and the small blade fuses.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I can't agree more with the people who keep mentioning picking up a multimeter. You can get one at radioshack, Home Depot, etc. A couple of quick checks with that could save you a lot of money at the dealership. Considering that you are not in warranty, you will probably not walk out of there for less than a couple of hundred.

With the meter, the first thing to check is if current is being supplied to the fan. Pull the connector that goes to the fan motor and measure the voltage between the two pins on the wire side (when the fan should be running). You should measure about 12 Volts. If you do, your fan motor is bad. If you see 0 Volts, then the fan is probably still OK, and we point you to where to look next.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That fan motor will work on a Yaris LB or Sedan from 06 through 09. You really can't tell if a motor is good by looking at it. Applying power to it and watching it spin / listening for bushing/bearing noises is the easiest way to tell if its OK.

By the way, the fuse for the cooling fan is not Fan No. 2, it is RDI. Fan No. 2 is one of the two relays in the fan control circuit.

Check RDI, which is a 30A fuse in the under hood fuse panel on the driver's side (it is one of the big guys in the strip between the connectors and the small blade fuses.
I was finally able to check that 30A RDI fuse today since I've been out of town for awhile.

And you were right, the fuse was burned!

So where can I get a replacement fuse? Can I get one of these at an auto parts store like Auto Zone or will I have to get one at the dealer?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #34
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
An auto parts store will almost always be cheaper if they have the part, call one up and ask!

You mentioned salvaged, was it hit?
That fuse blew for a reason, you maynot be done after replacing it.
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #35
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I am not sure about places other than dealerships having them. They are called Fusible Links and the part number for the 30A one is 90982-08295. They are about $10.

If you want to test the motor before replacing the fuse, use a multimeter and measure the resistance between the 2 terminals of the fan motor. Mine measures 1.0 Ohms. If it measures 0 Ohms, then the motor windings are shorted. You can also put the meter in voltage mode and spin the fan blade. A little zing and you will be reading 0.5 Volts DC or more (depending on how fast you spin it).
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #36
yarisitis

Thanks for all your help guys.

I bought the fuse from Auto Zone and put it in and the fan works now. I turned on the A/C and the fan automatically turned on like it should.

About how long do you guys think it takes the fan to turn on leaving the car idling long enough so that the fan turns on on it's own without the A/C being on?

Thanks again CT for your help man.