Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
SezyVisa

Drives: Yaris 2008 hatchback
new to a used 2008 yaris please help!

I just bought a used yaris some this guy, its 2008 hatchback, 98000 miles,automatic transmission, this is my 1st car, i bought it to use for school, i dont know much about car, and somehow this guy lost the manual, can someone tell me if i need to have a major tune up, and what will be done in the tune up? or do i have to do anything for the car? i think he didnt have any Maintenance Service since he bought the car, probably just oil change every few thousands miles. If i need to do a major tune up, how much will that cost? I'm a student, so i'm trying to save money as much as possible, so please help. thank you

Last edited by SezyVisa; 08-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.
SezyVisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Automatic or manual transmission? I'll let you do the conversions, but my service schedule for auto tranny has me replacing fluid at 100,000 km. Coolant service at 136,000km.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Might want to change out the plugs too (Iridium).
Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
SezyVisa

its automatic transmission, and what is auto tranny, sorry i'm noob at car, how much did it cost to replace the fluid, coolant service and change the plugs? where should i go to do those things? dealer seems so expensive
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SezyVisa View Post
I just bought a used yaris some this guy, its 2008 hatchback, 98000 miles, this is my 1st car, i bought it to use for school, i dont know much about car, and somehow this guy lost the manual, can someone tell me if i need to have a major tune up, and what will be done in the tune up? or do i have to do anything for the car? i think he didnt have any Maintenance Service since he bought the car, probably just oil change every few thousands miles. If i need to do a major tune up, how much will that cost? I'm a student, so i'm trying to save money as much as possible, so please help. thank you

Slow it down....

Are there any problems to report at the moment, what makes you think you need a tune-up?

You've come across a very low maintanence car, congrats and welcome!

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ I don't believe the OP necessarily thinks a 'tune up' is needed. That's just a terminology thing. The concern is; has the car missed any major regular scheduled maintenance items. The answer is, yes it may well have gone by some.

BTW, auto tranny is automatic transmission.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
i think he didnt have any Maintenance Service since he bought the car, probably just oil change every few thousands miles.
Unless you are sure about the oil changes that would be the first thing I would have done.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
its automatic transmission, and what is auto tranny, sorry i'm noob at car, how much did it cost to replace the fluid, coolant service and change the plugs? where should i go to do those things? dealer seems so expensive
The automatic transmission is the auto tranny, its the slang word. As for how much it costs, it depends on where you go. Judging from your auto tranny question, I think advising you to do it yourself is maybe a stretch.

Try some of your local Jiffy Lube like shops. They change the oil and transmission fluid. I would advise using nothing but synthetic oil and transmission fluid. If you do use the synthetic, watch for oil leaks and if you do have them, switch to high mileage blend of oil/synthetic oil. Its a little thicker and seals better to prevent the leaks.

The plugs....anyone can do that. If you can turn a socket wrench, you can change a plug.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I have the 08 hatch with a standard shift, and at 88K, it really has needed very little service.
Since you don't know the full history, I would start with an oil change, and to change the air filters. In addition to the engine air filter under the hood, there is a cabin air filter hidden behind the passenger glove box. Don't be alarmed if the interior one is missing, not every 08 came with it. (the space is there for it, and most parts stores will have it)

Next check the air pressure in all 4 tires. There are low pressure warning sensors in the wheels, but they don't trigger the warning light until 25psi or below.

If you are not comfortable pulling the wheels to look at the brakes, consider taking it to an independent mechanic for an overall inspection. If you don't have one that has been recommended to you, try looking here:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

If you let them know that you have purchased this as a used car with uncertain history, they can look everything over and tell you if any safety related items (brakes, suspension) need service, and what might need service after more miles.
Up to 88K, air filter, oil, and tire changes are the only service my HB has needed.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
And if you want a good maintenance schedule there is one in the DIY/Maintenance/Service section.

Go down to the sticky named " All maintenance requirements based on mileage intervals" Go down to Post #7 and click on the thread there. Put in the info they ask for and you will get a maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule is metric but just remember that 8000 kilometres is equal to 5000 miles.

This is the schedule I use for my Yaris.

Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
SezyVisa

thank you for all the help, this whole week, i spent a lot time reading many posts here and tried to learn stuff about my car so i can do whatever i can with the car by myself. so far here are what i got done:
+ Replace engine oil and oil filter: i used mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil
+ Replace cabin air filter: bought from napa: ultra 8
+ Replace engine air filter: bought from napa: ultra 8
+ Inspect tires, wear and adjust pressure: new tires
+ Engine coolant: add a bit more coolant : $20 toyota pink coolant
+ Inspect brakes, brake lines, brake hoses: still nice brakes have like 80% left
+ Inspect brake fluid- still full--- when do i need to change the brake fluid????

Here are few things that i probably need to get done soon
-Change serp belt: i check mine, the belt seems having very thin line crack every 1/4 inches, when should i change this? i read on forum on some post said i could buy one from amazon and get jiffylube to change it for $20

-Replace engine coolant: i went to toyota and bought their coolant, was onsale for $20, read the direction on the bottle how to flush, seem easy, probably i can do it myself. how many quarts do i need for the whole replace engine coolant process?

-Replace Automatic Transmission fluid: i'm still looking into this see if i can do it myself, tips and advices on this part???how many quarts Toyota Genuine ATF WS do i need for this whole process? should i use the toyota brand or i can just use any brand name? If i cant do it myself, should i find another auto shop to do at cheaper price instead of dealer?

Thank you