Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
flutie98

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Battery swap resulted in blown low-Beam + DRL?

Alright folks, I am confused.

Swapped battery on wife's 09 Yaris LB. That day we go out to a friends house and when we are about to drive back home we realize the low-beams do not function....

I pull engine compartment and under dash fuses (H-LP RH/LH, ECU-IG) all check out fine, visually and with ohmmeter. I then attempt to remove a bulb to check if low-beam filament is busted.

My hands are not overly large but my god is it impossible to wrangle the rubber boot and retaining clips loose.... So I popped the clips on the bumper cover and removed the headlight assembly (in <30F darkness, no garage....) and low and behold a blown low-beam filament.

I then run to wallyworld for a replacement 2-pack, new bulb works fine!
But only when you turn the stick the headlight on position, no DRL!

I now do the same thing to the driver side and same deal, blown low-filament and after replacement, no DRL.

So whats the deal, could a battery swap cause the DRL module and both low-beam filaments to pop? Or is this simply a bad coincidence?
flutie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is definitely an odd one. The DRL module will not turn the lights on until you drop the e-brake lever, when starting the car. Now that you replaced the bulbs, check the DRLs again with the e-brake off.