Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Annabanana95

Drives: Ford ranger
Wheelchair accessibility in 2009 sedan

I am considering trading in my truck for something that gets way better gas mileage however my limiting factor is that I need something cheap and wheelchair accessible. My boyfriend is great at getting into vehicles (he can finagle himself into my ford ranger without too much trouble) but his wheelchair takes up some space, which is why my truck is so convenient. I found a 2009 sedan that I love and I know he can get in and out of, but I am worrie that there will not be enough space in the trunk for his collapsed wheelchair. Does anyone know of the trunk of the sedan is large enough for a chair?
Annabanana95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Other than your current truck, what other cars have you guys put the wheelchair into? If it helps, my dad's wheelchair was able to fit into a 1999 Camry without issues.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Annabanana95

Drives: Ford ranger
It fits really well into a Honda Civic but other than that I am not sure since we usually just take my truck everywhere.
Annabanana95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes a Yaris 2 door (and even an ECHO 2 door) is about the easiest vehicle in the world to get into and out of. That door is BIG.

If the rear seats fold down and there is commonality between the trunk and interior I would think, yes, a colapseable wheelchair would fit no problem.

If you buy the car and it works out for your bf post the results here.

I always thought these cars would be handicapped capable.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Yaris in any form is probably too small, you will end up not liking it

they are roomy enough, but you wo';t have room for too much more if
you load up a wheelchair

get something barely used, (cheaper when it has some miles on it)
big bigger like a Camry
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
If the chair fits in a Civic it will fit in the Yaris. I have one of each of those cars and the trunk space is comparable.

I would advise a trip to a dealer that also sells previously owned Yaris' and give it a try.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend you add a bumper protector for the top of the rear bumper.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote