Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #55
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryze268 View Post
That's what I'm confused about, my cluster didn't come with a tach gauge but I'm seeing the black wire in my C13 connector.

Can I pick up the tach signal from that wire? My Vitz is JDM so it doesn't have an OBDII port
You should be able to use that wire for your tach. The pin on the OBD connector where that wire goes to for US and Canadian cars is an unused pin for OBDII communications. Toyota just happens to bring the pulsed tach signal to that pin.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #56
mpcv2000

Drives: 2004 Echo HB Hatchback 2 Door
You should change your name for WikiScott
mpcv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #57
Ryze268

Drives: 2002 JDM Vitz 1.3
Awesome! I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it turns out :)

Follow me on Instagram:

instagram.com/itzkingjustin
Ryze268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #58
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
2005 Echo RS Cluster in a 3DR 2004 Echo Liftback .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcv2000 View Post
I think this thread is a pretty good "How to" regarding swapping a Echo Cluster.
I don't know much about the Toyota Echo but maybe a Sedan with a RPM will work too , no ?
What is the difference between my 2005 RS cluster and a Sedan ?

Back ground ?

To answer this. No sedan in Canada have a tach. Some US models have a tach like the 05 hatchback.

The same swap is required for a 05 cluster in any Canadian sedan.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #59
mpcv2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
o sedan in Canada have a tach. Some US models have a tach like the 05 hatchback.

The same swap is required for a 05 cluster in any Canadian sedan.
Ah ok.
Good to know.
So finally this thread is very informative.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #60
theguy
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota echo
hello guys... sorry but my english is too bad ... i want to know if you know who have echo rs cluster for sale i very interesting for 1 ty ...
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #61
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcv2000 View Post
Now I want some disk brake on the rear .

What is my best option ?

Budget is between $600.00 to $1000.00 .

I have Goggled it a little on it but nothing "easy to grab" came up really.
Matrix XRS or Corolla XRS rear disc should bolt right on. You'll only need to re drill the rotors for 4 bolt pattern.

I don't know about the park brake cables though.

PS, sorry, I just found this thread now.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #62
mpcv2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Matrix XRS or Corolla XRS rear disc should bolt right on. You'll only need to re drill the rotors for 4 bolt pattern.

I don't know about the park brake cables though.
That's good.

I'll look into that this winter.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #63
lambornisyoantuan

Drives: 2000 Yaris
I'm also doing a cluster swap from a 2000 Vitz, my stock gauge has no rpm(manual transmission). And i bought a vitz gauge with rpm(automatic transmission). Considering that mpcv2000 and I have the same problem, but the year model of our car is different, also the sockets and wire colors. I hope CTScott can address my problem
lambornisyoantuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #64
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambornisyoantuan View Post
I'm also doing a cluster swap from a 2000 Vitz, my stock gauge has no rpm(manual transmission). And i bought a vitz gauge with rpm(automatic transmission). Considering that mpcv2000 and I have the same problem, but the year model of our car is different, also the sockets and wire colors. I hope CTScott can address my problem
The Vitz has wiring differences from the USDM Echo. You will need to track down the wiring diagrams for your car and for the one which the cluster came from.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #65
lambornisyoantuan

[IMG][/IMG]

22pin ^

18pin ^

stock pin (upper part gauge) ^

stock pin (lower part gauge) ^

actually, its a toyota Echo here in the Philippines.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #66
lambornisyoantuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The Vitz has wiring differences from the USDM Echo. You will need to track down the wiring diagrams for your car and for the one which the cluster came from.
I've successfully changed my cluster. Toyota Echo here in the Philippines was built in Japan, just sayin'

so my problem is i dont know where to tap the "hot" and cold" wires from my RS gauge to the stock wiring harness. I hope you can help me CTScott highly appreciated
Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #67
engineer6

Drives: Vitz 2001
Cluster swapping with RPM

Hey Dear,

I also tried changing my old meter (without RPM) with the one having RPM Needle. I followed the same PIN Diagram and things. Thanks God, Every thing is working properly after the swap except for speedometer.

In fact, the new speedometer is showing a delayed speed. Like for testing I turned on the GPS in android and matched with the speedometer and the speedometer reading is 10 km/hr delayed.

For example, meter is showing speed of 40 km/hr while in actuality the speed is 50 KM/HR.

Please help me with this one
engineer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #68
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer6 View Post
Hey Dear,

I also tried changing my old meter (without RPM) with the one having RPM Needle. I followed the same PIN Diagram and things. Thanks God, Every thing is working properly after the swap except for speedometer.

In fact, the new speedometer is showing a delayed speed. Like for testing I turned on the GPS in android and matched with the speedometer and the speedometer reading is 10 km/hr delayed.

For example, meter is showing speed of 40 km/hr while in actuality the speed is 50 KM/HR.

Please help me with this one
You might have a different speed sensor ratio in the transmission that the car the cluster came from.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #69
engineer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
You might have a different speed sensor ratio in the transmission that the car the cluster came from.
Thanks for replying. So is there anything I can do about the sensor? I mean can I make any adjustment or I have to buy another speed sensor that is completely synchronised with the new meter?

I was also thinking about resetting the ECU. Would that help?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #70
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If it is the case, there's nothing you can do other than completely tear apart the transmission and change the gear on the diff to match the ratio of the other transmission and speed sensor.

The speed signal goes directly from the sensor in the transmission to the cluster and then to the ecu. Resetting the ECU won't do anything. Be sure you don't have a bad connection from your wire changeover. Resistance in the signal wire could be the cause of the low speed indication.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #71
engineer6

.YouR point regarding different ratio is plausible as I have tried different meters with the dealer and all had the same issue.

But still to be on safe side, I will check for cold joints causing attenuation in speed signal.

Post Script: for other people information, I am driving Toyota Vitz 2001(not echo or Yaris) imported directly from Japan.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #72
loud41
I've made a post!

Drives: 2001 Echo
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to complete the work that was started here and finish the wiring diagram for this cluster swap for the hi/low beams problem. After looking at the two diagrams, I'm fairly certain how to get the hi/low beam LED to work on the cluster. The '05 cluster gleans power directly from the headlights in order to power the LED, whereas the '04 cluster has a splice from the main power block that runs the cluster in order to power the light bulb. The connection to the headlight switch merely connects the hi/low beam lamp circuit to ground allowing either the LED or the lightbulb to illuminate when the switch is flipped on.

So my theory is this:
Splice a wire from the '04 connector, C14 pin 1(L-Y), to the '05 connector, C14 pin 22(R-L). This should connect the LED to the 12v power source that runs the entire cluster and should power the LED when you flip on your hi beams.

I can confirm this shortly after I complete my own swap this weekend.

Last edited by loud41; 02-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.
loud41 is offline   Reply With Quote