Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Squirrels sleeping inside Cabin Filter

Inside the cabin filter in the 2012 Yaris, possible other year models as well there is a hole in the back of the cabin filter. This is where my problem arises, I'm having squirrels get inside this hole and sitting on my cabin filter.

Therefore already months ago, I've had to replace the actual cabin filter with foam, as they were tearing the normal cabin filter and causing a complete mess inside the cabin filter compartment.

Closing this hole inside the cabin filter is next to impossible, just as it is impossible to find a small enough vacuum to vacuum squirrel droppings which are inside the cabin filter fan.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Mangemobile
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Sounds cute, but must be extremely annoying!
Perhaps you can attach a wire screen over the hole, with a mesh wide enough not to impede airflow, yet narrow enough to bar the entry of squirrels.
Good luck.
Mangemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Connabear Traps baited with peanut butter are your friends!

Old 11-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
YodaBird

There are too many around where I live, traps will get one or two; more come.

Anyhow, they have completely destroyed the lining behind the radio; and there is squirrel droppings behind the radio as well as mouse droppings. As they chewed on of the radio wires, we were told to replace the lining plus the radio wire were looking at $5K+ so Toyota recommended to simply leave it for now.

Squirrels are a complete destruction tree rats. As I mentioned if, which is next to impossible put a wire mesh inside the hole where the cabin filter lies; they just have found there way behind the radio, anyhow.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I’ve heard of sprays they will repel squirrels. Perhaps spraying down areas where they are found will help?
Old 12-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I’ve heard of sprays they will repel squirrels. Perhaps spraying down areas where they are found will help?
What type of sprays are they, and how long do they last ?

I plan on finally moving next year; but this place where I have lived has caused alot of frustration and destroyed parts of the Yaris due to mice and squirrels, mostly the lining put inside the car. In the future I may have to do a strip of the car, clean it out and replace what I can by what was damaged from these rodents. I mice have destroyed the wiring for FM radio so I only have AM.