Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
When are you too Old !

How many guys and gals here are 30 + and still throw a bit of Bass in the trunk and hop on gaming systems like Xbox Live or PS3 ?

Reason I ask is some these youngsters look at me crazy when I tell them my age and I still enjoy bassing out.

30 here still Bass and hop on XBL !!

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's a generational thing. I'm mid-30's (can't remember my actual age right now) and I enjoy video games and loud music while driving. I'm also an undergrad student, so I spend lots of time with young adults, many of whom are also surprised by my interests.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
_S7V7N_

Good I'm not the only one Lolll. There a woman who competes in SPL competitions who's around 80 !

I tell you what when I'm on XBL and a kid who hasn't hit puberty comes on the mic and tells (us) we suck I ask for his moms Facebook !

Lil bastards !!!

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
at 80, that's probably the only way she can actually hear music :D

I'm edging closer to 31, quite enjoy thumping bass (but always in moderation), and game as often as I can :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Just hit 33 and I like my beats loud, mainly on my commute, I would love to game just don't have the time, but I hit the wii with my son here and there lol! But I have a game room in the works and once the command center is up and running my son and I will be in heaven

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
I'm 26 and I had to google what XBL was.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
_S7V7N_

XBL = X Box Live.

What do you do in your off time Jayeh ?

I spend time with the fam but after about 10:30 when they all go to sleep its XBL time !!

Even when we'd go out and get home around. 2 am it was COD Zombie time ! Now its all Gears of War 3 !

Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
When is one "too old"?
When they forget what it's like to be young.

Having said that, being a former (rock) bass player, I certainly have nothing against bass.
However, speaking as a life long audiophile, I could never understand some of the general public's current obsession with ridiculously augmented bass..........bass so pronounced and unnatural that it completely detroys the music.

While one sgnment is seeking the fabled "staight wire with gain", another segment wants more and more bass...... at home and in their car.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-04-2012 at 03:55 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I hear all the statements.

As for the lady who is around "80", I believe you're probably thinking of Alma Gates. She was/is a pioneer into the SPL scene. She's the type of person you can talk to about anything. As a matter of fact, I recall my last conversation with her...it was about strippers and cheesecake.

As for SPL in my ride, yeah...I could I suppose. I'm just not too impressed with being the loudest on the block anymore. Believe me, I appreciate it, but just not as much as the little detail work that goes into some of the SQ cars.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
_S7V7N_

Well in my college years it was always fun to set off alarms with our Bass. It was also fun rolling up on a car full of fosgate stickers at a red light and tell them to crank it ! Then at the next light unleash your 200 dollar system and rattle the hell out of your car, there car , and the cop sitting at the same stop light the furthest lane from you ! First time I heard about noise pollution. Lolll

Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
When is one "too old"?
When they forget what it's like to be young.

Having said that, being a former (rock) bass player, I certainly have nothing against bass.
However, speaking as a life long audiophile, I could never understand some of the general public's current obsession with ridiculously augmented bass..........bass so pronounced and unnatural that it completely detroys the music.

While one sgnment is seeking the fabled "staight wire with gain", another segment wants more and more bass...... at home and in their car.
Agreed. There's bass, then there's BASS. I like it to compliment the music, not overpower it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Always have been and always will be a gamer. PC gamer that is...I hate consoles. Got my start on Pong. I'm 47.

I like my music to have bass, but not bass that booms or shakes too much. I have had woofers/sub-woofers in every vehicle I have owned since 1982.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
spl is just silly to me. I had a next door neighbor who did the old 80's sedan thing and switched from 4 12's to 4 10's to etc, etc, etc. Totally insane. You could hear him from a half mile away at least, and inside the car literally shook. He use to drive my sister to school and she said it was a great back massage.

I put a 150 watt amp hooked to a 150 watt JL sub and it gave me massive headaches. Heh I had a more powerful system hooked up to my computer with an 8" sub and it sounded great in my room. One of the first 5.1 dolby systems for a computer.

Now I have been a gaming geek for decades. I have averaged more than 40 hours a week on games for a long long time. Computer games though, while it would be cool to play consoles, they are just too expensive, i tend to get them after the new system has been out for a few years.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
29 here... i think i will always be into audio, but i'm not into it nearly as much as I used to be... but that is mostly due to time and money constraints as I grow older.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I am 27 and I am a gameaholic! With 2 12" subs with cap and amp running from my OEM stereo lol to keep it on the low when park at mall parking lots and shit
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am going on 37 and am having a really tough time with the prospect of having to give up my subsonic thumping for my racing aspirations in my Yaris. I also get really strange looks from time to time because I am so in tuned with the House/Club culture. I don't listen to a damned thing that is mainstream if possible. My daughter's friends think that I am pretty cool since I can just about school them in the current music that is floating through the clubs not only nationally, but internationally. She has new friends come over all the time to check out my crazy car and they have a tough time deciding if they want me to bump tunes while the boost is spooling or having it off to listen to the tone of the car. I have a lot of them talk about how they have 500-1000w in their trunk yet I am only pushing about 100 per sub and have a great sound and bump.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
CharlieBravo

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
35 here. Been lovin bass since i was 15 and my friend just got 6X9s put in his nissan truck! I started with bazooka bass tubes, then truck box setups, bandpass boxes, then i got married, had kids, and now just getting back to what i like (just built my first 15" ported box). Don't care what others say. My own wife will not ride in my car! I'm hoping when the kids get older, one of them will want some kind of setup in their car and I can help.
CharlieBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
It's nice reading everyone's reactions and experience.

Appreciating an SPL rig...

How about this for those who don't exactly appreciate the big boom...

ThInk of the SPL rigs as to sound as the top fuel dragsters are to car racing.