Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
2006-2011 Yaris Liftback Intermittent Rear Wipe Module

Quite some time ago I put together a DIY for installing a Prius, etc. wiper stalk to gain adjustable intermittent front windshield wipers (www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15512).

After installing it I found that the stalk had an unused position for a second mode of operation of the rear wiper, which required additional wiring and parts to work on the Prius. This unused mode on the stalk is a bit annoying, as you click from off, to it, to on when using the rear wipers.

I created a circuit to take advantage of the unused position and provide an adjustable intermittent mode for the rear wiper. This comes in very handy, as the rear doesn't need to be run as often as the front, and it is nice to not have to worry about occasionally manually clearing it. I made the time delay between swipes adjustable from 4 seconds to 2 minutes. This is obviously a much longer delay potential than front intermittents have, but when driving in drizzle or a light snow, 2 minutes is perfect for keeping the rear window clean without thinking about it.

Intermittent Rear Wiper Module.jpg

Upgraded_Yaris contacted me recently to see if I would make him one of the modules, as he had just installed a Prius stalk on his liftback. After building one up for him and documenting the installation process, I thought I would make them available to others who might be interested. This can also be used with the stock wiper stalk. The price is $40 shipped (to the US or Canada).

If it is used with the Prius wiper stalk, then the unused “low” rear wiper mode will become the intermittent rear mode. If it is installed with a standard Yaris stalk, then the intermittent mode will replace the constant rear wiper mode.

Here's a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKo72VvCtTQ

Here is the installation guide for those wondering what's involved in doing so:
Intermittent Rear Wiper Module Installation.pdf
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Mine! PM sent.

Please ignore the Ferrari
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
netz2008

Drives: 2008 hatchback
Do you have any more of these?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by netz2008 View Post
Do you have any more of these?
Yes.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Hi Scott,

Me personally I'd be interested in one that has no time delay box but rather just the delay speed set at Toyota factory standards for that of the Prius / RAV4 etc.. do you know what I mean? I would never use the speed adjustment dial ever, and would just like a standard slow speed setting built in the same as it would be with the 2 speed setting stalk.

Let me know..
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rice View Post
Hi Scott,

Me personally I'd be interested in one that has no time delay box but rather just the delay speed set at Toyota factory standards for that of the Prius / RAV4 etc.. do you know what I mean? I would never use the speed adjustment dial ever, and would just like a standard slow speed setting built in the same as it would be with the 2 speed setting stalk.

Let me know..
That is definitely doable and would allow me to use a much smaller box for the unit. According to the Prius service manual the rear intermittent mode uses a 12 second delay (which is a pretty good choice from my experience). I typically set mine around 15 seconds when it is raining hard, and about 90 seconds when it is drizzling.