Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Clip remover tools not working, mangling clips

I am trying to remove the rear bumper cover to get to an area on the body that has a welded seam that may be leaking. (If curious see post). The first step in removing the rear bumper cover is to remove two clips using a "clip remover" in order to remove the rear bumper side seal. See attached instructions from the manual.

I tried removing a clip using a large flat head screwdriver and pliers as recommended in a youtube video. I could not get the clip out. So I bought a couple of tools based on googling "clip" "remover" and "yaris." These tools look like this NAPA door panel remover tool Part #: BK 7769160 here . But neither of these tools apparently fit and I still could not get out the first clip (of many) and indeed ended up essentially tearing the head of the clip off.

Although I haven't yet removed it, the clip looks like a plastic bolt with a round smooth head and ridges (instead of threads) on the shaft. The NAPA tool has a "mouth opening" which is about 1 cm wide and a "slot" opening (at the back) which is about 6 mm. It appears that 6 mm is not wide enough to accommodate the clip shaft. In other words, I think this NAPA tool does not really fit the clip properly.

So now I have two clip removal tools that do not work, a mangled clip and still have barely started the project.

QUESTIONS: Does anybody know how to find a clip remover tool that works/fits properly?

Is there really another method of clip removal that works without using a formal clip removal tool? At least one youtube video said to use a large flat (single slot) screwdriver and pliers, but I wasn't able to get that method to work so far.

How do I find replacement clips for the one or more clips that are/will be ruined by the process of removing the clips?

Thanks,

R.

RearBumperCoverRemoval.jpg

Last edited by RMcG; 01-27-2021 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarity
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:02 AM   #2
RMcG

I have been poking around on the internet and have been making some progress in answering my own questions.

These youtube videos are informative:

How to Remove Bumper Retaining Clips (Removing GM/Chevy, Honda, Toyota Auto Body Fasteners))

and Harbor Freight push pin pliers and trim panel pin pliers

It appears the tool that would help me the most is called "panel clip pliers". There is another tool called push pin pliers, but I think push pins are easier to take out than the clip I mangled.

I am still interested in any comments anybody has and I will still need to replace the clip I mangled, IF I can eventually remove it.

Thanks,

R.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I always plan on them being destroyed in the process of removal and buy new ones. I've got a few different tools for removing them and they don't work very well.

The parts diagrams on Toyota's (and/or dealership) are where I go to find the OEM part numbers. Alternatively you can take the ones you need to the local parts chain and see if they have the same thing in the generic parts blister packs.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I always plan on them being destroyed in the process of removal and buy new ones. I've got a few different tools for removing them and they don't work very well.

The parts diagrams on Toyota's (and/or dealership) are where I go to find the OEM part numbers. Alternatively you can take the ones you need to the local parts chain and see if they have the same thing in the generic parts blister packs.
Thanks Crank,

I appreciate it. I don't feel so inferior now, having destroyed at least one clip; and still being frustrated and not able to remove it. Frustration with the effectiveness of various tools seems common.

I think the parts diagrams page you refer to that is relevant for my particular situation is here. And the busted clip number is 90189-06013. At least now I can get some idea of the various types of clips and where they are located to do the job. The push pin type clips are supposed to be easiest to remove. Based on looking at Amazon images of the clip I destroyed here, I am not sure it really looks like what I imagined -- I'm only guessing, since I still have not been able to remove it.
Any comments from anybody else will be appreciated.

Thanks,

R.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
To remove the push pin type used on the Yaris, simply push in on the center with a Phillips screwdriver. You'll feel a 'release' occur at about 1/16th inch depressed. Pull it out with your fingernails.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #6
RMcG

Thanks Wee and Crank,

I managed to get the bumper cover off, but I did break both of the clips numbered 90189-06013. (I picked up 2 new clips numbered 90189-06013, from the local Toyota dealer, total cost for 2 about 3 USD with tax; they are definitely making a profit for sure.) The other push pin clips can be used again, I think. The welded seals I wanted to inspect do not look real bad, but they could still be leaking significantly. They do not look all that different than the welded seal in this post that leaked.

I'll be applying sealant to the welds when the weather gets warmer, as warmer temps makes for a better cure & seal of the sealant according to 3M, the manufacturer of 3M Dynatron Auto Seam Sealer. In the meantime, the bumper cover is back on the car loosely, secured by the 10mm bolts under the lip of the locked tailgate.

Thanks,

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 01-28-2021 at 11:42 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 01-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Yeah, those particular pins are a pain to remove even if you can access the back side. The ones with the pin in the middle usually break off at least one tang from being old/brittle. Hence my strategy of just buying all new ones if I know I'm going to remove them.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clips, remover, tools