Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
adamschneider

Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT
The choice between AT and MT is the main reason I haven't placed an order yet myself. It's a really tough call, especially if you live in the city.

To those in the know: does the auto REALLY get gas mileage comparable to the stick? Every time I try to search for this info, I end up with the EPA estimates, which are not to be trusted.
adamschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamschneider View Post
The choice between AT and MT is the main reason I haven't placed an order yet myself. It's a really tough call, especially if you live in the city.

To those in the know: does the auto REALLY get gas mileage comparable to the stick? Every time I try to search for this info, I end up with the EPA estimates, which are not to be trusted.
There isn't much difference in the gas mileage on auto or manual on these cars. I get great mileage in town with my auto. I find it shifts much better than my truely sluggish golf. I personally hate manual transmissions. I live in the city. I drive in the city.

The gas mileage is affected by how you drive----> if you lay on it and slam on the brakes it will suck.

also there are several threads on this already, have at it

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 06-07-2007 at 06:37 PM.
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
From your description, my first impression would be that an automatic sounds safer, especially if the other driver is not used to a stick.

I have a manual, and my experience is that you are always shifting--have to keep the revs up to get any power out of it.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Manual, manual, manual; it's such a fun car to drive! Pep is the word; this car has plenty of pep; it's so light and nimble on it's "feet". A joy to drive. Shifting is smooth and the clutch is light, albeit, a bit touchy -- only took a few weeks to get used to it. I would never go to automatic, and I live in Pittsburgh where there are hills upon hills, and still, I prefer the manual.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote