Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
1NZFE VS 4EFTE

During my project run I had many ppl around discussing about my engine, the 1NZ. Many, if not all say when comparing a modified 4EFTE with a modified 1NZFE, the 4EFTE perform much better. Also they say that the 4EFTE is more cheaper to build since many of the stock internals withstand heavy power beyond 250Bhp or even more. Well I could easily got into the route of the 4EFTE with minor modifications in the engine bay but all is done now.

I know many ppl have experience with different engines and maybe there are some could give me better advantages on the 1NZFE vs 4EFTE so that when facing these ppl I can give them some good feedback instead...
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Well, they are probably right...

Couple of things...

The 4EFTE is a much older motor than the 1NZ however this power plant was designed for forced induction.
It is a stronger overall engine... with an iron block that can stand more power than the 1NZ in it's stock form.

You can take the 4EFTE from it's stock 130 hp to to a little over 200hp with no modifications to the internals. This engine can handle some serious boost on a stock bottom end. You can not do that with the 1nz

How ever when you are shooting for 300 hp even the 4efte will need to be re inforced (pistons, rods)
At this power level I guess the 1NZ been a modern engine has better flowing capabilities.

The other advantage of the 4EFTE that ca not be denied... is that has been around for a lot of years and is has much more aftermarket support than the 1NZ. Threfore probably the parts are cheaper and esaier to find.
A lot of people has messed around with the engine so it's limits are known unlike the 1NZ that has only a few turbo'd examples around the world...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Parmas

The only things I didn't change were the internal springs and maybe going to bigger valves. How much bhp/boost do you think the 1NZ can hold of course with the internals I have?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
The only things I didn't change were the internal springs and maybe going to bigger valves. How much bhp/boost do you think the 1NZ can hold of course with the internals I have?
Any number I can say it would be pure expeculation... as there are not enough examples to go from...

Just from the top of my head I would say... I've we have see a few yaris boosting 7-8 psi on a stock motor with no problem... I think that with forged internals and a really good tune you could probably double that 14-16psi
With race gas or meth injection perhaps a little more (18psi)

But there are many factors here... not just the strenght of the internals. The abilities of your tuner will play a big role there...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Any number I can say it would be pure expeculation... as there are not enough examples to go from...

Just from the top of my head I would say... I've we have see a few yaris boosting 7-8 psi on a stock motor with no problem... I think that with forged internals and a really good tune you could probably double that 14-16psi
With race gas or meth injection perhaps a little more (18psi)

But there are many factors here... not just the strenght of the internals. The abilities of your tuner will play a big role there...
I hope that you are wrong with the theory of 16psi since there are 4EFTE engines that hold these numbers with stock internals. Well I hope I will know within few days since the project is now almonst in completition
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Paris vvt-i

Drives: Yaris ts 1.5
if you sleeve the 1nz fe ..... it will make greater horsepower than any 4e fte can make... so i prefer the 1nz fe!
Paris vvt-i is offline   Reply With Quote