Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
WhiteLB

Drives: 07 polar white LB
why not do both. the ultimate racing sway bar for 135 and then go buy a 20 dollar cone filter and modify the top f your stock intake box to fit the cone filter. There is also plenty of diy intakes on this site. Its very easy.
WhiteLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
What does that mean?
Quote:
It means you should get the sway bar.
LOL
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
How much faster will my brand new stock tires burn out with a sway bar up front?

For example, I take clover style off-ramps at speeds just under lost of traction. (stock vehicle) & I'm sure it's hard on the tires now...

With a sway bar I'd be getting to the burger and toy faster.
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #22
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldon View Post
How much faster will my brand new stock tires burn out with a sway bar up front?

For example, I take clover style off-ramps at speeds just under lost of traction. (stock vehicle) & I'm sure it's hard on the tires now...

With a sway bar I'd be getting to the burger and toy faster.
You already have a front sway bar. Just that Toyota was too cheap(?) to install a rear one.

Your tires will wear out the same if you didn't have a rear sway bar installed. It's just that your driving habits may change once you install the sway bar.

Rear Sway bar is one of the easiest mods to do that will have very noticeable impact. The other would be slapping on those Micro Image/Yaris World decals and gain 50hps.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #23
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
If you drive the same, you will wear the tires the same, if not better, since the reduced body roll will wear out the tires more evenly. However, because you have increased handling ability, if you drive it HARDER than you did stock, you will wear the tires faster. How much faster is entirely up to how you drive and how much you abuse the car.

Honestly, if you are worried about tires and fuel economy, you shouldn't be looking to go faster. More acceleration always means burning more fuel (unless you strap on a nuclear generator or some sort of electronic hybrid battery assist) which in turn will wear the tires faster.

If you are worried about your tires, you should probably try to make your car slower and more dangerous, so that you drive slower, thus wearing them down slower. The best mod I would suggest is free (thankfully). . . and it should make your tires pretty much last forever.

1. Engage parking brake, jack up and support the car properly. Please use jackstands.
2. Locate the bolts on the front wheels (there should be 4).
3. Remove the retaining bolts and store them in a safe area
4. Remove the wheels and look for the flux bolt (slightly orange), and tighten to 98lb/ft.
5. You're done. Don't proceed with anymore steps. You now have infinite tire life. Unfortunately this mod ends up reducing your MPG's to near 0. Start up the car and enjoy your new noisemaker.

/sorry for the long and unfunny joke.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #24
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
CAI = a possible wanna have

Rear anti-sway bar = a must have (unless you drive like Grandpa, and even then)

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
If you drive the same, you will wear the tires the same, if not better, since the reduced body roll will wear out the tires more evenly. However, because you have increased handling ability, if you drive it HARDER than you did stock, you will wear the tires faster. How much faster is entirely up to how you drive and how much you abuse the car.

Honestly, if you are worried about tires and fuel economy, you shouldn't be looking to go faster. More acceleration always means burning more fuel (unless you strap on a nuclear generator or some sort of electronic hybrid battery assist) which in turn will wear the tires faster.

If you are worried about your tires, you should probably try to make your car slower and more dangerous, so that you drive slower, thus wearing them down slower. The best mod I would suggest is free (thankfully). . . and it should make your tires pretty much last forever.

1. Engage parking brake, jack up and support the car properly. Please use jackstands.
2. Locate the bolts on the front wheels (there should be 4).
3. Remove the retaining bolts and store them in a safe area
4. Remove the wheels and look for the flux bolt (slightly orange), and tighten to 98lb/ft.
5. You're done. Don't proceed with anymore steps. You now have infinite tire life. Unfortunately this mod ends up reducing your MPG's to near 0. Start up the car and enjoy your new noisemaker.
/sorry for the long and unfunny joke.
dude that was funny.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
2005rs

Drives: 2005 Echo Rs
just installed a used aem cai. I gotta say, if I'd spent $200 for the thing, I'd probably think it improved performance. since I bought it used and don't have that much investment in it, I'd have to say improvement is marginal. Perhaps when I upgrade the exhaust...
now the ralco short shifter was definately worth the money
2005rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
TheDriver916

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
i have the afe intake and a magnaflow muffler (not complete exhaust) and i noticed a decent amount of power increase. i bought them so i could get better gas milage and of course the performance. But like stated before me i have no suffered a gas milage decrease because of the fact that it does feel more go kart like and makes you want to drive fast.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 AM   #28
rye7jen

Drives: 2nz-fe '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
LOL
+1
rye7jen is offline   Reply With Quote