Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Pacman

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3d LB
Noob with questions/ideas

Hi All,

Purchased a 2010 3dr LB (Meteorite) base model from the local dealer at the beginning of the month. The dealer called a base model, but the insurance guy said the VIN was an S, don't know if there's that much of a difference. Mine has the 15" wheels. New job has 60 mile (each way) comute, so I needed a high MPG vehicle. Been trolling around the forum here for a few days and I must say WOW! Lots of good stuff, thanks to those who are helping here, it's really given me a lot of good ideas and tips.

I like the car a lot! Couple of annoyances (some noted in the forums). The TBW hesitation is the most annoying. Manifests itself when taking of from a full stop. Dealer says it's normal, but I just don't like it. Might have to go with that TBW adapter thingy I saw here somewhere. Other thing was the radio display went out. Then it came back.... then out.... then... You get the picture, dealer ordered a new radio for me. They said that they have been havng issues with the radio.

Anyway on to my questions:

The cruise control addition is awesome. Can I run the cruise without the clutch switch on my manual trans car? If so, does the clutch connector need to be jumpered? (assuming I have the connector down there) Aside from the engine revving if you step on the clutch while the cruise is set, are there any other issues?

Since the car is probably wired for power option, there are wires leading into both doors and no switches, so I'm hoping they are connected to something. Has anyone added power locks with remote? Best I can guess is that it would require the poppers, switch and reciever. I would also need to get the transmitter key/fob blank. It looks like the 3dr LB normally has the door lock switch mounted in the center console. Can anyone confirm these requirements/parts? If so, any ideas on a source for parts?

I would like to mount my GPS in the new car (older Garmin NUVI). Was looking for a good spot. Couple of ideas came to mind. The first is mounting it high on the driver's side armrest. My thought is I could mount it on a ball mount and hopefully get power to it from the existing harness for windows or locks. The window wires should be a switched source??? Option two: which is going to be more difficult, but I think would look cooler. Since the instruments are centered on dash, the normal place for guages is open. So I thought fill that space with the GPS. Fab a t-shape bracket and mount it via the steering wheel back housing cover screws. Shape the bracket so that it would place the GPS even with the back edge of the steering wheel air bag. This mount would have the GPS rotating with the steering wheel. It should leave room for my hands and still allow for my thumbs to work the touch screen. Since it's behind and above the air bag it shouldn't impede the the bag's deployment. Problem is getting switched 12 volts to the GPS. Originally thought about using the cruise control connector, but it would probably freak the computer out especially if I do add the cruise control. So here's the big question: Is there a way to get switched a hold of 12 volts in the steering wheel? Any other issues with this mounting system?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Cheers,
Steven
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I wouldn't recommend not using the clutch switch. I tried for a few trips, and I eventually forgot, and had it rev like crazy. It is VERY easy to install, and only costs about $23 at the dealer parts department. You can route the wires through the side of the door, won't look pretty but will work.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Pacman

Swidd,

Thanks for the thoughts, I too would probably forget.

Steven
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Grats on the Yaris Purchase and welcome to the forums! Pacman, if you could, would you post some pics of your ride?
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
The dealer called a base model, but the insurance guy said the VIN was an S, don't know if there's that much of a difference.
Welcome to the club. As for whether or not this makes a difference it very well may for what you are going to be paying for your insurance. Look at your window sticker. If your window sticker does not denote the S package then you need to show that to your insurance company because you don't want to be paying for something that you don't have. As for what the S model comes with here is the quick and dirty straight from the Toyota website:

Sport Package -- includes Power Package plus color-keyed front and rear underbody spoilers, side rocker panels, rear spoiler and unique S badge, integrated front fog lamps, iPodŽ [3] interface, Auto Sound Leveling (ASL), driver and front passenger sport seats with sport fabric, and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob.

Does this match what your ride has? The dead giveaway would be the lip kit and S badge on the rear.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Pacman

Thanks for the S info. Mine is definitely not. No spoiler, foglights, ipod or power package. I'll call the insurance on Monday to confirm.

Never posted pics before, think I saw a thread on it and will figure it out from there. Probably take a couple of days.

Steven
Old 09-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Pacman

Anyone with thoughts on getting switched 12 volts into the stearing wheel cover on my 2010 LB (base model, no power package)? Does the clock spring have an extra contact point? From reading here I think that there are 2 connectors one for air bags and the other has 3 wires (2 for cruise when I add it, 1 for horn). Does the cruise connector have a 4th slot that goes through the clockspring and can be tapped inside the steering wheel (behind the airbag)? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steven

Tags
cruise control, gps, noob