Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #19
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Were you able to hear it and keep driving long enough to fix it before it started to leak or cook the serpentine belt or something?
(I was thanking Chevy 350V8 for original 71 waterpump and alternator that made bearing noise while still working perfectly.)
It never leaked I don't think. I had it quickly replaced before it was out of warranty. I was about 4000km shy of running out :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #20
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I bought my car when it was 3 years old with under 40,000km, and the belt had some cracks in it already. I left it on for as long as possible because:
-I know the w.pump bearings are weak and didn't want to replace the w.pump.
-I was curious to just how bad a modern belt can get before it breaks.

I replaced the belt a few months ago as I was doing a couple track days in it and didn't want to risk a mechanical issue. I used a good belt, and was as light as possible on belt tension (to the point that I actually had to adjust it a few days later... I am a mechanic and haven't had to re-adjust a belt in years). Car now has 100,000 km, 9yrs, ~100 autoX events, two track days, two days of TSD rally on the OE water pump. I don't think driver abuse is the cause of the failure. Most cars have auto-adjusters on them and belts last much longer than they used to. I think people just don't remember/know how to manually tension belts anymore. Not a poke at anyone, just an observation. I would also expect if everyone looked at their maintenance records there would a correlation between belt replacement (or belt R&R) and w.pump replacement less than a year later.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote