Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to o89canucks
Front pad lifespan.

Was wondering what everyone else was seeing for average lifespan of the front brake pads on their cars. Just did the brakes this weekend at 38k miles and the front pads had minimal wear. Had a little bit of a shimmy in the front end so I still opted to get the rotors turned out, and reused the original factory pads. Just seemed to me to be a lot of mileage on those pads to be seeing that minimal amount of wear and wondering if this was normal for everyone else?

Last edited by o89canucks; 09-07-2009 at 09:00 PM.
o89canucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Atleast 100k mi
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Kamikaze1987

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I got 45k so far and was gonna change them this weekend but they still looked new and the rotors were perfect... my friend was amazed at how long the little pads lasted so far
Kamikaze1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
i just changed mine at 65k and there was still pad left.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I have like 42k, and I hear the indicator probably once a week. So I'm going to change them out and keep them as back ups since there should be some life in them still. Someone here told me that light braking is worse than heavy braking (I always did light braking).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
hafeez

Drives: 2007 Silver Toyota Yaris Sedan
I changed my pads this weekend and my car is at 80k right now. They had a little life left in them but i'll keep them as backups just in case. I was just wondering about the brake shoes though; how do you know when to change them?
hafeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Reaching 30,000 miles and the mechanic says the shoes and pads still look new. Only had to turn the front rotors at about 20,000 miles (roughly).
Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafeez View Post
I changed my pads this weekend and my car is at 80k right now. They had a little life left in them but i'll keep them as backups just in case. I was just wondering about the brake shoes though; how do you know when to change them?
Pull off the rear drums and check shoe thickness. I would replace them if they have heavy stress cracks in them also. May as well do a clean and adjust while you are in there if the shoes don't need to be replaced.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
Reaching 30,000 miles and the mechanic says the shoes and pads still look new. Only had to turn the front rotors at about 20,000 miles (roughly).
How can the pads look like new if you already had to turn your front rotors?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
How can the pads look like new if you already had to turn your front rotors?
The rotors can still get warped or glaze over without wearing much of the actual pad surface off.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i got 50K miles out of my set, and that included autocrossing almost every weekend for 3 years.

my corolla i did 75K miles and still had plenty of pad.

and my 1988 pickup did 280Kmiles on it's first set
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by o89canucks View Post
The rotors can still get warped or glaze over without wearing much of the actual pad surface off.
It's pretty much unheard of for disk brake rotors to actually warp. They get irregular patches of brake pad material deposited on the surface when used hard, especially if left with the pads in stationary contact with them while hot (i.e., the car's stopped for a bit after making a hard panic stop), and that makes the car shudder and pedal pulsate. Turning the rotor takes that off and gives a clean new surface, but they may also clean up with gentle normal use for a while, or with vigorous cleaning.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It's pretty much unheard of for disk brake rotors to actually warp. They get irregular patches of brake pad material deposited on the surface when used hard, especially if left with the pads in stationary contact with them while hot (i.e., the car's stopped for a bit after making a hard panic stop), and that makes the car shudder and pedal pulsate. Turning the rotor takes that off and gives a clean new surface, but they may also clean up with gentle normal use for a while, or with vigorous cleaning.
I don't know. I've turned lots of rotors over the years and what I see is runout and warpage (as in making two or three passes and still only removing metal at...let's say 12 o'clock, outboard, and 7 o'clock, inboard, for example). Now's the best time to see warped rotors because they're made so thin to save weight that they're usually below machine minimum (not discard thickness) after using up 1 set of pads.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
what's this noise about rotors not warping? lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I have warped rotors and have turned warped rotors. It happens....
Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
o89canucks
Mechanic from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Who told you that pile of garbage???

I have resurfaced a lot of rotors and you can definetly tell that a rotor has lateral runout when it is on the brake lathe. Take a hot rotor and drive through a puddle or snow and it is like taking a hot pan off the stove and pouring cold water into it from the sink. I have even seen the lateral runout be so bad (most common in Mitsubishi's) that the steering wheel will have a shimmy while the brakes aren't applied.

The clamping force of the pads against the rotor is so stong that even if your theory of "brake pad deposits" had any truth to it, the "brake pad deposits" would be removed the very next time that you braked.

I guess flywheels never get hotspots in them either or warp out and never need to be resurfaced either if this theory were true?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There are lots of other experienced mechanics who'd disagree with you on those points. I'll cite this reference:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
While pads do a fine job at removing rust they're not cutting bits for removing large amounts of iron, and holding steady pressure on a stomped pedal isn't the same as locking bits down in place on a lathe.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote