Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
TPMS Gauges - do they exist?

I've been googling some TPMS gauge systems, because I want to be able to take the info from our TPMS system and add some gauges to the dash for it.

All the systems I find are little sensors that go on the stems of the tire. Not really an add on gauge system for cars that already have TPMS like the Yaris.

Does anyone know of a way to just tap the TPMS wires behind the glovebox and add some gauges?

I'm bored and tired and haven't thought much about this - so this question is probably silly, but who cares. I think it's a good idea.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
im not sure, i know they do exist, my moms escalade tells you individual tire pressure and temp.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Yea, I know that some cars already have gauge systems like that, but I want one for my car lol. I like to keep tabs on my tire pressure, and the stupid manual gauge every week isn't doing it for me anymore. I am a man of technology damn it! haha
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
maybe try and look at a gm tpms diagram from an escalase? ill see if i can get one here at work for u
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
www.tirerack.com sells tpms systems

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...ELLATPMS&ID=51
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
We already have a TPMS system in our cars, I just want to add a display to it.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
We already have a TPMS system in our cars, I just want to add a display to it.
you'll probably spend more time fighting with the OE one than purchasing an aftermarket one and disabling the TPMS system installed on your car
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
This product is not recommended for use on vehicles with aftermarket window tinting.

wtf?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

......... huh? lol
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
This product is not recommended for use on vehicles with aftermarket window tinting.

wtf?
Window tint with metal in it can block the RF signals from the TPMS sensors.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
This probably sounds stupid, but could the Scanguage 2 not read and supply this info as a display.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Window tint with metal in it can block the RF signals from the TPMS sensors.
thanks. I thought about it, and that's the only thing I could think of that made sense. At first I didn't know they were wireless, but then I realized how hard it would be to attach a wire to a spinning tire...

How can I tell if my tint has metal in it? I just asked for limo in the back, and one step lighter than limo in the front at a stereo/tint shop.

(not trying to jack your thread sodium, sorry)

I checked the scangauge site, and it doesn't say anything about displaying tire pressure.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
How can I tell if my tint has metal in it? I just asked for limo in the back, and one step lighter than limo in the front at a stereo/tint shop.
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_types.html

You could probably call the shop that did the work and ask them.

I think the TMPS data goes to a separate computer, so the Scanguage might not have access to the data. I can't tell from the manuals that I have. Maybe somebody else here knows.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_types.html

You could probably call the shop that did the work and ask them.

I think the TMPS data goes to a separate computer, so the Scanguage might not have access to the data. I can't tell from the manuals that I have. Maybe somebody else here knows.
you are correct.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
from what i understand, the easiest way to do it would be to take out the original sensors out, and put in a new set that was purchased specifically with the gauges... one downside to think of, the reason that a lot of tire shops have a disclaimer that states that it must be changed every time is because there are a lot of techs in the field who "forget" to check for TPMS and break the sensors... if that happens, they will replace it with a factory sensor and you will be lucky if they tell you that they did it...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
from what i understand, the easiest way to do it would be to take out the original sensors out, and put in a new set that was purchased specifically with the gauges... one downside to think of, the reason that a lot of tire shops have a disclaimer that states that it must be changed every time is because there are a lot of techs in the field who "forget" to check for TPMS and break the sensors... if that happens, they will replace it with a factory sensor and you will be lucky if they tell you that they did it...
yeah, i already mentioned this to the OP

and it sounds like you should go to a different tire shop there in spokane. the discount tire in the valley was FTW back in the day

where in spokane are you?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #17
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
yeah, i already mentioned this to the OP

and it sounds like you should go to a different tire shop there in spokane. the discount tire in the valley was FTW back in the day

where in spokane are you?
i am spokane valley, currently at SCC in the auto tech program... there are people in the classes from pretty much ALL the major shops here, and they are all saying that it is an issue at the shops in town... luckily my car does not have or need the TPMS sensor because it is old enough to not require it... i usually shop at discount in the valley, because they usually try to treat me right... but i usually don't worry about tire pressure too much because somehow, i have been able to tell when i am low on pressure(even by only about 5 lbs.)... so do you remember the les schwab commercials of "we come running when you stop in"? <----- tell me another one... they don't even try!... so when did you leave spokane and why?
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
i am spokane valley, currently at SCC in the auto tech program... there are people in the classes from pretty much ALL the major shops here, and they are all saying that it is an issue at the shops in town... luckily my car does not have or need the TPMS sensor because it is old enough to not require it... i usually shop at discount in the valley, because they usually try to treat me right... but i usually don't worry about tire pressure too much because somehow, i have been able to tell when i am low on pressure(even by only about 5 lbs.)... so do you remember the les schwab commercials of "we come running when you stop in"? <----- :rofl: tell me another one... they don't even try!... so when did you leave spokane and why?
graduated from FLPT program at SCC in 2001

i'd been in spokane since 1998, moved to seattle after graduation and then moved to fl 2 years later. . .
you nailed it sir.