Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I so don't need this right now...

I was driving home tonight on the freeway through a construction zone behind some guy when he (possibly drunk) decided to clip the last cone and drag it back into our lane. It pops out from under him and gets caught under my front end. I hear it scraping as the oil light immediately comes on and I smell the oil leak. The cone then pops itself from under me, but luckily for me I was only 2 mins away from home so I get here quickly with the hazards on and turn off the engine. I pop the hood and notice that oil has sprayed all over the front of the engine and everywhere else. Whatever's left is now slowly leaking (and I also noticed that my front Toyota logo is now gone).

I checked and noticed that my oil filter is still on as left it, so the only thing I can think of is that there are loose or missing bolts on the oil pan. (I can't tell because it's dark). This just can't be happening seeing as how I got class tomorrow. Dammit...

I'll take pics in the morning, but feedback would be appreciated in the meantime. Hope it's not as bad as it looks.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
It's likely that the oil filter was punctured or sliced into (or simply broke the bead on the seal). I would drain what's left of the oil and pull off the filter and inspect it. That is the most logical thing....I really doubt that any pan bolts came loose.

Whatever you do, do not drive it until you figure it out!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
It's kind of too late now. But if it was me, I would take his license plate number, find him and sue his arse.
echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Welcome to the world of road hazards. Since you seemed to loose oil pressure so quick I'd have it towed to a shop of your choosing and have it checked-hopefully the short drive after the incident did not damage the motor. No matter what you pay to have it towed and checked out it will be a fraction of what an engine costs. If the damage is extensive you might check with your insurance company-comprehensive covers these things less your deductible.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
It's likely that the oil filter was punctured or sliced into (or simply broke the bead on the seal). I would drain what's left of the oil and pull off the filter and inspect it. That is the most logical thing....I really doubt that any pan bolts came loose.

Whatever you do, do not drive it until you figure it out!
I agree, best of luck.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

UTVitz: I was afraid of motor damage too, but luckily I didn't lose all my oil so I got home safely and quickly. It was starting to struggle just seconds before I turned it off though. It's running just fine now minus the battle scars. ..Well I guess now's a good time to finally get that Netz emblem. And get a steam-cleaning to get rid of that burning old oil smell and smoke....

mryaris: You were 100% dead-on about filter damage! I worked on it this morning. I opened the drain plug, but since it was sitting there dripping all night nothing came out lol. Turned-out the filter shell was crumpled like a beer can and the rubber seal was separated. It was so deformed that I couldn't even take my filter wrench to it. Had to hand-torque the greasy bastard for almost 10 minutes to get it out. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

And as promised, the messy pics that make you say "WTF...":
Attached Images

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Stupid truck, and stupid cone. Glad it isn't worse!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
!

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 12-17-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
SilverBack
Joey

^Just the usual underside phantom grommet/screw clip that I'd otherwise lose anyway to another parking bump-stop. The folly of having a lowered car lol. I keep the splash shield tucked under the bumper's clipping point, so it's not a big deal. Nothing to flap in the wind...

Thanks Astroman. He almost did hit another car too after spitting out the cone, so I'm sure he finally got his miles down the freeway. As for my end it's just a really messy oil change that came 1000 miles early this time around lol. I'll deal with the missing emblem later

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
what a dick not you the truck
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Wow. Lucky this happened close to home or it could have been a disaster. That oil filter really is a sitting duck under those circumstances. Glad everything worked out for you.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. It does suck to have to clean up all that oil though....ugh, what a mess!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
This one reason why I don't drive on the 10 freeway...
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Good thing it wasn't anything more serious. Do you think the oil filter mount was damaged?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

I cleaned the mount as much I could before inspecting it. So far so good. And since I'm not seeing any new oil leaking I take it there's no damage. I'll have to keep watching it this week though.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Hope it is very minor damage. The guys was probably tired and texting and makeing a phone call and making coffee and talking on the radio and adjusting the radio station and setting his cruise control and lighting a cigarette and combing his hair and brushing his teeth and maybe he was drunk too.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Hm makes me wonder if we should start a DIY oil filter guard? This was probably a freak accident, but I'd be more than happy to throw an aluminum or even steel guard on there somehow.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
markitect

Drives: Yaris
What kind of traffic cone was it? In autocross I've see lots of cars eat lots of cones, and I've never seen any damage like this.

I think you just got really unlucky, and really lucky at the same time.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote