Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Odd sound, 2008 Sedan

Perhaps some of you have noticed this annoyance.
My sedan has recently developed an odd sound which I cannot pinpoint.
It sounds like a marble/bearing is rolling back and forth as I excellerate and brake.
I've searched all comparments inside the car. Under the seats, within the seat tracks, even under the hood. All to no avail.
I'm left wondering if something is rolling about inside the front passenger side door but really would rather not pull the door liner for fear of damaging the attaching clips. Besides, unless something has broken away from the door speaker, power window, power lock or latching mechanisms nothing foreign could find it's way into that cavity.

Any thoughts from the esteamed membership???

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
maybe have someone in the back pinpoint the area more exactly?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Come to think of it the sound started after installing the 18's so perhaps it's something from the tool bag rolling around in the spare tire well???
Although, it sure sounds like it's coming from the front passenger footwell area.
More investigation pending.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Perhaps some of you have noticed this annoyance.
My sedan has recently developed an odd sound which I cannot pinpoint.
It sounds like a marble/bearing is rolling back and forth as I excellerate and brake.
I've searched all comparments inside the car. Under the seats, within the seat tracks, even under the hood. All to no avail.
I'm left wondering if something is rolling about inside the front passenger side door but really would rather not pull the door liner for fear of damaging the attaching clips. Besides, unless something has broken away from the door speaker, power window, power lock or latching mechanisms nothing foreign could find it's way into that cavity.

Any thoughts from the esteamed membership???

Looks like it might be something related to T-SB-0068-09:

http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com...SB-0068-09.pdf
echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Echaru,
Please enlighten me regarding this T-SB-0068-09.
My brouser (Internet Explorer) will not open your provided link.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Echaru,
Please enlighten me regarding this T-SB-0068-09.
My brouser (Internet Explorer) will not open your provided link.
I got the link from one of the posts here.

The link actually links you to a pdf. You need Adobe or something similar to open.

Here, I got a printscreen shot for ya. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Thanks Echaru,
I'll investigate the LH engine mount although the sound I'm hearing isn't likely to be caused by a separated insulator. Definitely something rolling back an forth on accelleration and braking.

I've checked the tire well and it's all clear.
Come to think of it, two years ago when I was installing the rear TRD dampers I lost the large washer from the top of one. It flew off to somewhere in the disassembled cabin. Perhaps it's come back to haunt me.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Could this cause a light shaking when at at stop ? When I take the 2008 out of drive while idling at a red light ( etc.) the shaking stops . Was thinking motor mounts . Maybe we should present this to a TOYOTA service center . It's been this way since new . The car was produced in APRIL of '08 . Thanks MUSKOKA800 and ECHARU .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
beginning to see hershey wants to bring alot of little things to toyota....... but hershey, ur issue does seem to be a motor mount, i had the same issue in my moms 01 camry and just replaced the top and rear motor mounts and vibration went away.

back to the thread, check and re check the tire well, i had the same issue and a 5mm socket had fallen in there. also if u lost the washer i would definatly try to find it, it could be that also. it does not seem like a mount issue. the sound ur describing i can almost hear myself thinking back to when i had the socket down below, i almost ripped the car appart to find it.

a way to check the doors, just open them and shake them (open/close without closing it all the way) and see if u hear it

hope that helps
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
hershey just expected to spend the money for a yaris and really get a lexus.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
LOL, dont get me wrong i expect quality from everything..... but it gets to a point

and before coming up with ideas to take it to toyota, first investigate it for yourself
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Hershey

You'd do the same if it was your vehicle(s) . WHY is it that WHY ( others ) have to find fault and make comments aimed at us ( others ) is wrong . WHY , don't you and a few others TRY to restrain yourself . . It would be appreciated . Our cars , our call .
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Hershey

" Hershey just expected to spend the money for a yaris and really get a lexus. "

Let it go . It's an open forum to help one another , not to make insults or wisecracks .

Last edited by Hershey; 11-05-2010 at 04:32 PM.