Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
AWD belta

So after seeing an AWD belta in this thread, I decided, I really want an AWD yaris. I've searched all around the forum and the internet, and not knowing japanese is kind of limiting my ability to research...

The only AWD yarii that I have seen, have been RHD, and come with a 1.3 liter engine putting out a measly 80-90 hp. Is the AWD sold anywhere that is LHD? Do you think the drivetrain can handle more? Like a 2zz or a 4age? Also, does the AWD assembly take up more room in the engine bay, making swaps even harder? Would it be easier/cheaper to just custom make the yaris into an AWD rather than worry about importing everything and hope it fits?

If all of those questions are stupid, point me in the easiest direction of making an AWD 'wrx killer' yaris
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Why would anyone want an AWD yaris with a 106HP engine? Buy a different car honestly.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I think an AWD yaris would be a great sleeper, actually. Think, if you had the 1.5l still in the yaris and swapped in the AWD drivetrain (with modification, I would believe), and gave it a good supercharger or turbo setup, build the motor internals a bit, and you WOULD have a WRX killer. 2300lb curb weight vs >2900lb curb weight with not a whole lot of power difference. Good concept, but it will cost a good bit of money.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Why would anyone want an AWD yaris with a 106HP engine? Buy a different car honestly.
I don't want 106 HP(that's why I want to know if the AWD drivetrain can handle a swap) and I don't want another car. As for why? MrBond hit it on the head - ultimate sleeper.

If I could get a used AWD for 5-6 grand, and a 2ZZ for 4 grand, for around 15 grand you'd have a car that could theoretically compete with a WRX, for 20 grand you could spank STIs all day. Ya that's probably guessing cheap all around, but I've seen super cheap salvage yarii and GTS celicas - the AWD drivetrain will probably be the hardest part.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
mrbond

Yeah, see, doing these sorts of things isn't about the supposed "worth" of a car. Laszlow, who has that Blitz-sponsored Yaris, had all that awesome stuff done to his car, probably worth upwards of $30,000. But he gets more props at car shows because he doesn't drive like a WRX or an RX7 bc those cars are overused.
Check around with members from Japan. The AWD systems from Yarii/Beltas are bound to be parted out of some cars by now, and they're probably somewhere around 3 grand shipped to the US, but this is speculation.
I say go for it!!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Autoprue

Drives: I dont own a Yaris
For the time money and effort to make a Yaris AWD your better off buying a car that already has that capability. Cool project but really not worth it. Your better off looking into forced induction of some sorts and corresponding mods to boot if you want to attempt "spanking STi's all day long."
Autoprue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprue View Post
For the time money and effort to make a Yaris AWD your better off buying a car that already has that capability. Cool project but really not worth it. Your better off looking into forced induction of some sorts and corresponding mods to boot if you want to attempt "spanking STi's all day long."
x2. It would cost you thousands and thousands of dollars to make an AWD Yaris. It's not just as easy as slapping some parts together.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Autoprue

Drives: I dont own a Yaris
^exactly my point
Autoprue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
not feasible without spending far too much money. i have already looked into doing this... importing the COMPLETE awd system would cost upwards of 6-7k

I would of done it instead of a twin engine setup if it was cost effective.

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboecho2005 View Post
importing the COMPLETE awd system would cost upwards of 6-7k
Is that new? Southern California has tons of little japanese engine shops that sell pretty much every japanese engine and tranmission used for 400-3000 dollars. I put an engine in my corolla for 1100 installed. I can understand if the AWD belta is pretty rare, but that seems a little high. Anyways, I'd probably try to find a belta with AWD used/salavaged, and work up from there - rather than trying to work engine x and transmission/drivetrain y into chassis z :P

Hypothetically though, if I could find one cheap, would it be able to take 180-240 HP? Would a 2ZZ or 4AGE fit with the AWD set up?

STIs are thousands and thousands of dollars(35 thousands base) - and I can't drive 10 miles without passing 2.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Just like the AWD bB's. Only came as automatics tho.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Just like the AWD bB's. Only came as automatics tho.
Yep. Most expensive part/system I ever bought. Still have it too. Anyone got an xB for sale?

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
mrbond

Those of you who say it would cost thousands of dollars, you're missing the point. So what if the Yaris only costs like 13 grand new? It doesn't really matter. If you have the money and you want something DIFFERENT, then this sort of thing makes perfect sense. For some people, the Yaris isn't worth spending more than like 5 grand on. For others, like me, it's worth spending up to 20 grand. It's all in your perception of your car. If I had a Yaris sedan I'd totally be planning to do this.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
Yep. Most expensive part/system I ever bought. Still have it too. Anyone got an xB for sale?
You have that AWD bB!?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Is that new? Southern California has tons of little japanese engine shops that sell pretty much every japanese engine and tranmission used for 400-3000 dollars. I put an engine in my corolla for 1100 installed. I can understand if the AWD belta is pretty rare, but that seems a little high. Anyways, I'd probably try to find a belta with AWD used/salavaged, and work up from there - rather than trying to work engine x and transmission/drivetrain y into chassis z :P

Hypothetically though, if I could find one cheap, would it be able to take 180-240 HP? Would a 2ZZ or 4AGE fit with the AWD set up?

STIs are thousands and thousands of dollars(35 thousands base) - and I can't drive 10 miles without passing 2.
New and used... it depends on how you want the finished product to look. If you want it just like factory you need more then just the rear subframe driveshaft and transmission. you'll need the complete floor, gas tank, most likely suspension, wheel hubs. If you just want to slap it into a car and lay down a sheet metal floor and take away from a factory finished look then yes you can do it for cheaper. And what about trying to find replacement parts like when you blow your rear diff? Plus what about all the electronics?

You'd be better off using an AWD system that was available in north america like using the matrix awd system.

I would love to see an awd yaris done!

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
I think an AWD yaris would be a great sleeper, actually. Think, if you had the 1.5l still in the yaris and swapped in the AWD drivetrain (with modification, I would believe), and gave it a good supercharger or turbo setup, build the motor internals a bit, and you WOULD have a WRX killer. 2300lb curb weight vs >2900lb curb weight with not a whole lot of power difference. Good concept, but it will cost a good bit of money.
The WRX will forever have a superior chassis. Potential threshold will be higher on the WRX because of it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboecho2005 View Post
You'd be better off using an AWD system that was available in north america like using the matrix awd system.

I would love to see an awd yaris done!
I'm thinking that's gonna be the direction I eventually take. I don't think the belta drivetrain can handle the kind of power I want, and like you said, when I break something, I don't want to have to import anything else :P

From a little reading the matrix only comes with an auto in AWD, just like the belta - but it should be able to handle a lot more power.

Right now I'm thinking scrap the belta AWD system, and try to find a salvage evo, eclipse gsx, or celica gt4
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Yeah, see, doing these sorts of things isn't about the supposed "worth" of a car. Laszlow, who has that Blitz-sponsored Yaris, had all that awesome stuff done to his car, probably worth upwards of $30,000. But he gets more props at car shows because he doesn't drive like a WRX or an RX7 bc those cars are overused.
Check around with members from Japan. The AWD systems from Yarii/Beltas are bound to be parted out of some cars by now, and they're probably somewhere around 3 grand shipped to the US, but this is speculation.
I say go for it!!
I don't think he gets any MORE or any LESS props than anyone else out there.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote