Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Schizoprenia

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.5 M/T '06
Red face Wheel size & weight, and how they affect overall performance? Share your thoughts

Hello all,

ive been going through a dilemma when tuning the yaris.

it all goes back to years ago when i first got the yaris from the dealer ship, all things stock, i tested the 0-100km/h time, it was around 8sec. it was a total satisfaction.

then time goes by, with many things changed, and even on the dyno it gave me results that were suppose, to cut times down, not increase them.
so, what have been changed frm stock conditions are:

*Engine:
-TRD Exhaust manifold
-Customized piping( coz there are no Bolt-On cat backs here) with a tanabe SMR muffler at the back
-Replacement air filter
-Lightened and balanced flywheel
-Dastek Unichip C Type (C type is mostly for toyota engines i believe, whereas the newest Q ones can handle almost all make)
-NGK iridium plugs ( i cant remember the heat number)

now here's part of the problem, ive been searching through this forum, and others... i seem to find the real problem with the de-performance might come frm other parts, not the engine mod itself.

***the car is wearing the INGS +1 Bodykit, made out of Fiberglass but not plastic(i suppose that's a lil' heavy ya? and aerodynamic wise might interfere the already egg shaped design)

***i changed the stock wheel and tyre from the original R15 with 185/60 ( that's what we have here in Indonesia)
to Volk Rays RE30 et.38 a R17 with 205/45 (the rims are not original japan, thus is not so lightweight, i cant figure out yet the weight, haven't got the time to disassemble them yet)

from the 0-100 in around 8secs w/ 1passenger
it became 0-100 in around 11(maybe high 10) secs w/ 1passenger

i, of course understand the weight will affect, the slightly bigger and wider tyres will too add the roll resistance, but i just didnt imagine the difference was that much.
pls share your thoughts on this one, im really confused, if the wheels and body are the ultimate source of the problem, i'd go as far as stripping them all down and go with 15" if that solves the problem...
Schizoprenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Schizoprenia

pic rem oved

Last edited by Schizoprenia; 02-02-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Schizoprenia

one more:
pic removed

Last edited by Schizoprenia; 02-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Schizoprenia

anything wrong with my thread? im just trying to seek for help and discuss how to gain back this downside...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Wrong place probably.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I PM-ed you
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
The photos were not necessary. What body kit you have is irrelevant to the topic.

You didn't include the main factor for discussion: the weight of your wheels.

To answer your question as best I can given the information provided: Yes, increasing the weight of the wheels and tires will decrease performance by making it harder for the car to do everything that a car does. It will be harder to accelerate, harder to decelerate, and harder to turn.

Aerodynamics have little effect on acceleration below 100km/hr.

You've made a lot of changes to the car without testing the effects of each one individually. A good tuner would make ONE change and test it to see what it did.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Schizoprenia

@cali: yes, cali yaris, thanxs for the concern.. i hope u don't mind i just answer your questions here... it is measured not by any highly accurate system(the 0-100 accel), its just me and my fren stopwatching, and its done not one, but a few times, show's a consistent average of 8+ secs.

@loren: okay, that answers part of my questions already.. so ure saying bodykits will hardly affect my acceleration below or rather around 100km/h.. and i need to lighten the wheels already. ill try to weigh the wheel and repost here.. pic removed loren :D
what is the total weight of the yaris stock wheels? the one 15" 5-big spokes model? is it like posted in the wheel sub-topic, around 33lbs? which is around 15KG yes??
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Schizoprenia

@cali yaris: ohh sorry, the custom exhaust i made, is 2.25", this im not 100% sure, but i can be sure its somewhere between 2-2.25" of diameter, in crush bent manner. will crush and mandrel make big difference? because i there aren't any shop who can do it custom here and no bolt on centre pipe here. if i were in the US, there are many options like the microimage products such as nitto, etc.