Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
jo.

Drives: 08 Yaris S LB
clay bar.

i was wondering what exactly clay bar does for your car? is it good, bad or just whatever?
jo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Its a very good thing and everyone here will tell you that as well. It removes all the contaminants that get stuck in your paint. After I clayed my car it felt super smooth and removed all those weird dusty/rust spots stuck in my clearcoat that soap doesnt remove. Usually people wash, clay, wash, and then wax. You dont have to do it all the time, but a good way to test if you car needs a clay is to put your hand in a plastic bag and feel your paint. Well thats what I've heard, I on the other hand could feel that stuff in my paint with my bare hands.

Also if you dont know you use a lubricant with the clay. Sometimes they came in a package together, but its usually just some detailer spray.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I tried the clay and didn't think that the benefits were worth the extra work. I good waxing once or twice a year is all I'll do anymore.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
This could help??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/clay.php
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
One thing to remember is that is you polish and wax over imbedded contaminants......you are not waxing properly....

I worked many years detailing cars and we always claybar......it makes a big differance.

It is a lot of work to wash....clay......polish.....wax...wax......takes me about 8 hours to do one car....but is shines like a mirror when done....no swirls...no flaws....no nothing but mirror finish.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Here's a link to my detailing thread in this same forum (not sure if you saw it or not). There are pictures showing the contaminants that were pulled out of the paint. My car, when it's at home is always garaged and still there was quite a bit of crud that came off on the clay. I bought the car brand new in June of this year. The clay job was done in September.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote