Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
rear disc conversion

hi guys,

i recently just bought the rear disc conversion and the R1 drilled and slotted rotor from microimage...

I have't had chance to install them, but surely they look good, but the thing is the front rotor is a tad smaller than the rear ... which I kinda hate .... so do you think it's worth to upgrade the front rotor with the 320mm one from Garm ...or should I just go with a big brake kit ??? but Im not sure where to get them .

I happened to check ebay and found a lot of bigger caliper from other car ... is it applicable to our yaris ?? is it a simple bolt on or else ??? edumacate me please
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
you should just go with the big brake kit. personally i don't like to mess alot with brakes because that's the only thing that helps u at a curve
Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
vten

do you know anyone selling them ? eventhough im not racing or auto x my car .... it's more for the look purpose .

I heard wilwood is making one for our yaris eh ?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
There are some Japanese brands that make a BBK for the Yaris like Endless (or was it Project U?) but these cost big bucks.

Before I once asked Stop Tech if they could make me a BBK (big brake kit) for my Evo IV. They had a BBK for the Evo VIII back then but they said they would have to actually have the car to size up the proper brake piston sizes so as to maintain the OEM brake bias and ensure that my hydrovac and brake master cylinder can sufficiently pump in enough brake fluid onto the calipers and get it to clam down hard enough on the rotors. Far more complicated than I had imagined.

Which leads me to my next point. You can basically fit almost any big brake caliper onto any car. All you need is a proper bracket to mount the caliper onto the hub but you'll never know if you are able to maximize the actual braking performance since our OEM brake master cylinder and hydrovac are not sized properly for just any bigger brake caliper. There might not be enough brake fluid being pumped into the brake caliper to clamp down hard on the rotors. Plus these big brakes weigh a lot too, a lot of unsprung weight in our Yaris, which is a relatively light car. This MIGHT affect the handling and overall performance more than any gains you would see on a BBK. Ok enough of the performance stuff.

For the looks, again like I said you can theoretically mount a junkyard big brake caliper onto your Yaris. All you need is ideally a spare wheel and hub assembly, access to a CNC machine to fabricate the brackets for the caliper onto the hub. It's easier to test fit the caliper and bracket on a spare hub and wheel assembly rather than trying it out on your own car right? :) My friend did that on his S14 Silvia: we had a spare set of Evo Brembo brakes. I think he initially fabricated the bracket either out of wood or a bunch of angle bars, then once he got the clearances right, he had a machine shop CNC machine him the final bracket. By the way, if you go this route, you will ideally use the matcing rotor from which the caliper was used in conjunction with.

Goodluck! Personally I would not take this route because there is little leeway for getting it wrong. You are endangering yourself and others if your custom BBK fabrication is poorly thought out and made.

So, stick with the complete BBK kits in my opinion at least hehehehe
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
vten

so I'll be getting that BBK from microimage for sure ...it comes with a braket ... I guess, that bracket is for our oem caliper right ? is a BBK caliper outhere has a universal bolting point ??

every BBK I searched consist of disc rotors, calipers, pads, brakets and stainless lines...so with microimage bbk kit that has rotors and brackets already, I just need the ss lines and the caliper it self right ( brembo caliper from ebay maybe ) ?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
The bracket is for the oem caliper for sure. I don't know yet what the bolt spacing on the Brembo caliper is, but I doubt it'll line up perfectly with the Microimage rotor. Plus, there's the clearance from one end of the caliper to the other that may need to be adjusted. When I get all these, I'll experiment with the clearances. Hopefully I won't need to have another bracket made. But if there's one that needs to be made, I'll have one made and keep the design for whoever wants to do the same, thus making it easier for everyone else.

vten, when you do get the BBK from Microimage, do you think you could take pictures of all sides of each of the components? It'll make researching a lot easier before I get the BBK myself.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
mrbond

and vten, if you're interested, here's a pair of brand new Wilwood superlight calipers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...730&indexURL=2 Not a bad price at all!
I'd get these, but I want Brembos.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The 320mm "BBK" I have is a bracket set and larger rotor. You keep your stock caliper and lines.

I know Laszlo on here has or had Rotora BBK in front, very nice but $2000 I think?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
mrbond

^ Yeah, that's wayyyy too much to spend on one of those, IMO.

Hey Garm, is there a brand name for that BRK you sell?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's probably also RunStop (like the rears), but I will check.

I guess I should order a few more kits, there seems to be some interest.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
vten

wow that wilwood caliper is pretty good deal ..., but yeah I want brembo myself . can't wait for the bbk to get here, I'll snap a pic once I get them.

thanks for Garm for the killer products and price ...
these are my purchase for the month :P ... and will do it again very very soon for the rest
oh yah ..can't wait for my full exhaust setup tooo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00060-20090603-2227.jpg (30.0 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00061-20090603-2250.jpg (17.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Not 100% positive this will bolt right up but I think this bbk might work.
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...-15015652.aspx
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
also heres a wilwood kit. Once again for the XA so not 100% sure on fitment.

http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...-140-8335.aspx
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
vten

I just sent wilwood an email about the caliper and possibly a custom bracket for our car and waiting for them to reply.

Hopefully they will make them or the cheapest route for this... Is buying the brembo caliber cover and call it a day :D

Let see ...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
mrbond

Well, you can get a used pair of Evo Brembo calipers (which were designed for a 320mm rotor - the same diameter of the rotor Garm sells btw), get them rebuilt if you want, and it'd be about 300 for everything, not including the adapter bracket.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
vten

my 320 bbk will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know about the measurement... let's get the bbk project running :D
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #17
mrbond

For sure. vten, you live in ohio, right? If you do, perhaps we can meet up and work with your big rotor and my Brembo calipers and work on making a very competent big brake kit for a Yaris?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
vten

yup, I live in columbus, Ohio.

I just received the front 320mm rotor...im happy now because it's bigger than the rear .... I would love to meet up with you, but my schedule is really tight , but we can work it out.

here's some more teaser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris brakes.jpg (20.0 KB, 347 views)