Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Just finished up doing the mod. Used a piece of clear thin plastic from a product wrapping package. Used super glue and attached it to the module not the actual pedal lever as there is more surface area there. If it falls on and somehow jams the throttle I can just depress the clutch and throw it in neutral so no worries there.

We'll see how well it holds, i'll be driving it in a half hour so it's only had about 2 hrs to cure but seems solid.

Pro tip: when you're down there you might as well tighten up the clutch stop screw. I had about a 1cm play in my clutch pedal and decided to finally finally something about it. 3 quarter turn or so of the 14mm bolt and the play is all gone.

I'll let you all know how I find it, but i'm looking forward to it
OH MAN! Please put that spacer on the lever. It will fall off and wedge that pedal open the day you let someone you love drive that car. YOU know it's there and what to do, but no one else does. While there is less surface area on the lever, there is no tension or pressure moving it anywhere so very little surface area is needed. It is basically resting in place when on the lever.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirageman View Post
It will fall off and wedge that pedal open the day you let someone you love drive that car. YOU know it's there and what to do, but no one else does. While there is less surface area on the lever, there is no tension or pressure moving it anywhere so very little surface area is needed. It is basically resting in place when on the lever.
No one else drives my car but me...I make sure of that

With how my flimsy plastic "spacer" is added there is actually less risk of it jamming between the pedal due to gravity and the natural bend of the plastic spacer.

It will fall away from where it is glued and away from the pedal. Had I mounted it on top, gravity could cause it to fall and get jammed.

The reason you likely don't have the stalling issue when the engine is cold is due to the revs hanging higher which causes the car to want to drive in first gear and not stall.

Don't be afraid to Rev to 2k rpm when letting out the clutch, smal engines need more throttle to avoid stalling