Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Headlight problem persists after new bulb

SOLVED: I AM EDITING THIS ORIGINAL POST SO THAT READERS CAN UNDERSTAND THE CONCLUSION (SOLUTION) OF THIS THREAD.
AS STATED IN MY POST AT THE END OF THIS THREAD "I THINK THE MAIN PROBLEM WAS THAT THE FEMALE PLUG WAS NOT FULLY PLUGGED INTO THE MALE
PRONGS OF THE NEW HEADLIGHT BULB. THIS POINTS UP ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH REPLACING THE BULB "BY FEEL" INSTEAD OF "BY SIGHT" AS
CAN BE DONE IF YOU TAKE THE BUMPER COVER OFF AND TAKE THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY OUT OF THE CAR. I THOUGHT THE BULB WAS FULLY PLUGGED
IN, IT FELT LIKE IT WAS FULLY PLUGGED IN, BUT IT WASN'T."
The technique of replacing the headlight bulb without taking off the bumper cover is
discussed at the end of this thread Advice needed for replacing headlight bulb
that was started (and essentially ended) by me just before I started the present thread here.

Thanks,

The Original Poster, RMcG

Hi everybody:

I thought replacing my passenger side headlight bulb would solve my headlight problem as described in my recent
thread/post: "My low beam passenger's side headlight is abnormally dim (much dimmer than the driver's side headlight).
The high beams are normal and equal on both sides, so it appears that the passenger's side bulb is almost burnt out."

(I think my passenger side running light was also out at that time too.)

I replaced the bulb today with a brand new Sylvania Silverstar 9003; and I tried to carefully clean the old dielectric grease from around the
connector and the contacts of the new bulb with mineral spirits, a toothbrush and Q-tips. But, I am still having passenger side
headlight problems: no running light on the passenger side and a dim passenger side headlight on low beam (and also with fog light on) and now I
have no high beam on the passenger side either. I had a normal high beam on the passenger side before -- I think. The driver's side headlight
appears to be behaving normally.

Now I am wondering, what should I do next?

I could check voltages with a multi-meter. So, for example, this forum thread (post #6) says: "For 2007.
Left Hand. Green Low Beam,Brown Hi Beam,Grey Common.
Right Hand. Blue Low Beam,Green Hi Beam,Black Common."

And this thread (post #2 from Australia) has a Diagram that I have inserted below that gives voltages and ground for various headlight switch positions.

Maybe it's a blown fuse or a relay problem. I don't think Chilton's has pictures of fuse boxes, And I have looked at wiring diagrams in
the library's Chilton's and they are hard to understand. I have attached a picture of the actual fuse box cover under the dash on my driver's side of the car.

Recently the lights for the lower dash circular knobs for fan speed, air flow direction/defrost and air temperature are no longer working
(see attached) picture). Also the headlight on reminder alarm went out several months ago. I can live/drive without those lower dash lights,
but I can't drive at night without headlights.

Questions:

Does anybody have suggestions as how to find relevant fuses and/or relays?

Would the wiring and voltage information given above from other posts apply for my 2008 Hatchback base model?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do before consulting/spending a fortune on, a mechanic/dealer?

Would a dealer or independent mechanic be able to diagnose the problem relatively easily? Say using on board diagnostic
testing?

Any other comments will be welcomed.

Thanks,

R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (2187).jpg (84.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg YarisCenterConsoleImage.jpg (76.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg YarisFuseboxPicture.jpg (65.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by RMcG; 12-10-2022 at 10:50 PM. Reason: So readers understand the conclusion of the thread
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, problem