Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Any news on a MI turbo?

Been reading lots of threads on turbocharging the yaris and have heard mentioned a couple times that MI is working on a turbo kit? Is that something real? Is it available?
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
We'll be reselling the Zage kit. It's been proven to fit correctly and is very affordable.

Shipment should be in within a couple of weeks.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo

Lemme know if you have any other questions, and feel free to modify my guide as necessary.

I also wanted to let you know that after remounting my intercooler today, it may actually be possible to use some of the holes the front bumper uses to mount near the skid plate. That would mean no drilling. You just need the right brackets, and that should be easy enough.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Cool. Is it going to be an all inclusive kit, meaning any electronics, gauges, plus the turbo hardware itself? Or at least something like: "Here's the turbo kit, MI also recommends you also buy this, this, this, this, and this which we've hand picked to ensure proper compatibility. And if you buy it all together from us we will also throw in this excellent DIY."

What I mean is I see things mentioned in threads like "Wide-band sensor", or "FIC", or "S-AFC", piggy-backing, etc etc etc... Is this going to be a "turn key" type of thing that will let the average John Q. OilChange public out there buy and some time later have a properly running turbo charged yaris?

I understand "tuning" is a big part to to ensure that no CELs are thrown or things like detonation don't happen and of course that will have to happen somewhere else local to wherever your car is.

Just wondering as I know sometime in the future I will be wanting to do this to my yaris and not being a proper wrencher but just a kind of hobbyist just am wondering if I could handle it. The whole thing seems kind of daunting from the onset for someone like me and it would be nice to have the reassurance that some place that actually knows what they are doing (MI) put together this kit to ensure proper fitment and compatibility.

(sorry, do I run on too much)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
We'll be reselling the Zage kit. It's been proven to fit correctly and is very affordable.

Will you be doing a pre-order special?
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:

I suggest you work on this the I/C mounting before you sell this kit....
CarIntercooler.jpg
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

It doesn't need work. There are two mounting brackets not used on that install.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Then you are good...
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I will be including a recommended list of accessories, and if anyone wants to order a package with them, there will be a discount.

Also, some printouts of background articles so anyone new to this can study up on the basics without getting pounded by a bunch of strong opinions.

Further, the instruction manual will be improved and re-written, as overseas manuals are pretty tough to follow.

Example: you get ten bolts for the oil pan, but they don't tell you that you have to remove two studs from the bottom of your block (stock is 8 bolts + 2 studs), so you think you have two extra bolts.

Example: How to properly seal a pan, fittings, etc.

and so on... I'll try my best to make it complete, clear and informative.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
I suggest you work on this the I/C mounting before you sell this kit....
Funny that you bought that up considering I literally fixed it three hours ago lol. It's now centered and no longer lopsided.

Quote:
Further, the instruction manual will be improved and re-written, as overseas manuals are pretty tough to follow.

Example: you get ten bolts for the oil pan, but they don't tell you that you have to remove two studs from the bottom of your block (stock is 8 bolts + 2 studs), so you think you have two extra bolts.

Example: How to properly seal a pan, fittings, etc.

and so on... I'll try my best to make it complete, clear and informative.
Garm, I'm not sure you can call 20 or so pictures thrown together in sequence a manual lol. Unless it's an "overseas" thing

And yeah you guys that are interested are so lucky that it's been tried and proven at this point. Some stuff was such a pain to figure out... Including, but not limited to, that oil pan situation.

I think it would be pretty neat if a couple base tunes could be thrown together. That way the buyer wouldn't even have to worry about that aspect. Of course, tuning is still an issue but hopefully I'll get it worked out soon.

I dare say that if you aren't really pushing past 5 psi then a tune isn't really necessary... But that's just my opinion. If you kick the crap out of your car, yeah you need a tune. If you're an (aggressive) daily driver then no worries methinks.

It's probably also worth mentioning that even with Garm's magic touch, this is still going to be very hands on and is going to require getting your hands dirty. The cost + labor involved is worth it in the end though.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
... I'll try my best to make it complete, clear and informative.
That's really very cool for us first-timers out here.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

** major props to focus shift for being a guinea pig with this kit. It will go a lot easier because of his efforts.

If I can get a kit onto a local car and tuned, I will document the tune and save the map. But anyone who gets the car tuned at a shop will have a copy of their map to share, at least for that management system.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
Mister Z

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
Quote:
** major props to focus shift for being a guinea pig with this kit. It will go a lot easier because of his efforts.

If I can get a kit onto a local car and tuned, I will document the tune and save the map. But anyone who gets the car tuned at a shop will have a copy of their map to share, at least for that management system.

I am willing to be your guinea pig Garm. Just shoot me a PM. I have been considering adding a turbo to my yaris. So just hit me up!!
Mister Z is offline   Reply With Quote