Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
DANIELTNIEVES

Drives: 2010 yaris 3dr manual
GAS PEDAL SPRING TOO WEAK

I have a 2010 liftback manual transmission. It's hard to not race the engine when starting off in 1st gear, and also whenever shifting to another gear engine races for a split second when clutch pedal is pushed. It is my belief that both issues are caused by a gas pedal return spring that is not stiff enough to offer you enough resistance when starting off in 1st gear so it's either stall it or race it a little, and when putting in the clutch and taking my foot off the gas pedal to shift to another gear it's not stiff enough to push the gas pedal out quickly so when disengaged from the drag of the transmission & engine I get the split second of racing a freewheeling engine. Anyone else think this is so? I've owned nothing but manual trans cars since 1972, and it's not just my yaris mt, I test drove 3 other 2010 yaris mt's and all were the same.
DANIELTNIEVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
That may be. One of my very few gripes about my Yaris is that there is not enough physical resistance to the gas pedal so, it's sometimes hard to get my foot comfortable when crusing on the highway.

However, I do not have the shifting problem you described with my manual.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELTNIEVES View Post
Iwhenever shifting to another gear engine races for a split second when clutch pedal is pushed. .
that's the ECU sir. live with it.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Yes, all the manuals do it. I thought it was due to the drive-by-wire technology. I'm "used" to it now.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
SimTronik
Machinist

Drives: Yaris sedan 2010
Is there a way to stiff the gas pedal anyways?
The steering wheel is my desagreement too. It is soooo loosy.
SimTronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Shoulda bought the auto then

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
SimTronik
Machinist

Auto it pretty much straight up on acceleration in 1st gear too..
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
RedRide

I never even had a hint of the described "enging racing" problem when shifting (or any other time) with my "09 manual.

From what I can gather, that only happens with a relatively few vehicles with both manuals and automatics. So, perhaps it is a bad gas pedal or ECU?

Personally, I would have the dealer change the pedal /ECU etc and have it eliminated as most do not have the problem and this points to a defect.
If I got no satisfaction from the dealer I would personally write Toyota coporate.

Remeber the squeaky wheel get ther grease or this case, their gas pedal fixed.
Let's not forget, Toyota has a bit of a history wth defective gas pedals.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
SimTronik
Machinist

Do they charge for resetting ECU?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
no they don't.

it's an ecu thing, and you've all forgotten how racey the engine was when you first started driving the car. rev hang is one of the huge drawbacks to any DBW car, and a reflash is usually the solution to this problem.

the OP simply needs to learn how to control his softer-than-normal spring in his dbw throttle and go on living life. i hop from my MR2 into a yaris and immediately think "wow this pedal is too light" but after a couple minutes, i'm used to it. there's not much difference between 1/4 throttle and full throttle anyway ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
I like the rev hang . It allows me to match revs in a very smooth fashion . People who have ridden with me are amazed that they cant feel the gear changes .

To me the Yaris is perfect in almost every aspect with the exception of acceleration . 0-60 in the 6 second range would be ideal .
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I never even had a hint of the described "enging racing" problem when shifting (or any other time) with my "09 manual.

From what I can gather, that only happens with a relatively few vehicles with both manuals and automatics. So, perhaps it is a bad gas pedal or ECU?

Personally, I would have the dealer change the pedal /ECU etc and have it eliminated as most do not have the problem and this points to a defect.
If I got no satisfaction from the dealer I would personally write Toyota coporate.

Remeber the squeaky wheel get ther grease or this case, their gas pedal fixed.
personally the engine racing is cause from ppl who arnt use to a dbw system. it has lag when u push on it and when u let go..... when i first got mine, after coming from a super sensitive 81 jetta i could not take off and between shifts it sounded like i was mario andretti trying to show off. it takes time to get use to the lag, some people adjust faster then others. when i first got my car i was seriously looking into a cable conversion kit but after i think 2 weeks it got alot smoother and i didnt feel it was an issue any longer

i am completly against jsut "living" with an issue but this is more like adapting to new technology, not a flaw at all
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELTNIEVES View Post
I have a 2010 liftback manual transmission. It's hard to not race the engine when starting off in 1st gear, and also whenever shifting to another gear engine races for a split second when clutch pedal is pushed.
It doesn't really RACE between gears, it's just that when you let your foot up off the accelerator for a second to change gears, the tach doesn't drop down as in other cars, it stays the same RPM.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
RedRide

People, you miss my point. Mine does no have any lag at least to any perceptable degree and it never had any.

I have been driving manual fo 50 years and I will admitt the the Yaris clutch is not
the best.
However, the engine will throttle down "normally" when the pedal is released.

A DBW sys does not mean an engine can not be controled as well as with a traditional DBC sys. Throttle lag is not a charateristic of a properly working DBW sys. The technology used has been around for a long time (in industry,etc) and it can be completly linear if it is designed and working properly.

Having said that, if somone had throttle lag with a DBC sys you would certainly tell them they have a throttle problem with the cable,etc.
However, with a DBW sys you tell them the driver is a problem? I don't buy that.

Throttle lag when the pedal is released is a safety problem so, it should be addressed.
Like I said, if it was me, I would write Toyota coporate customer service
and outline the problem if the dealer will not adress it.

BTW, let's be carefull that we are not confusing throttle lag with a weak pedal spring with less than desireable resistance.

And...... yes, Toyota did have some defective gas pedals supplied by a certain vendor. They have admitted to this and it is a matter of public record. Why do some still dispute it?

Last edited by RedRide; 11-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I agre with the OP; I have a 2011 and after 400 miles I am finally (somewhat) getting used to the light gas pedal. I've been thinking about the possibility of adding another spring though.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
im curious if toyota canada will reset ecu for free??
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Can't you reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a while?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Can't you reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for a while?
Yes, that will set it back to the default setting.

BTW..... Something just occured to me.
I frequently access WOT as I'm not concerned about fuel economy. Even at its lowest, it's good enough for me.

So maby if you are constantly driving for economy, the ECU might be getting programed with some throttle lag to increase gas mileage.
This might explain why I don't have any lag.

It would be interesting to know how people drive and how it realtes to throttle lag.

Last edited by RedRide; 11-03-2010 at 09:41 PM.