Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Wiring Harness Adapter

I just bought a Axxera Double Din Bluetooth Multi-Format CD Receiver with Full Graphic LCD (X2DMA500) for my 2007 hatchback. (It was cheap) I'm replacing a pretty old Panasonic aftermarket unit that I had simply plugged the OEM plug into it and it worked. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work with this new unit. It did come with a wiring harness, but I don't want to be splicing or soldering anything. Is there an adapter that I can use to plug into the OEM plugs, then straight into my new unit?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
A picture of the existing wire harness would be helpful, since I'm not aware of any aftermarket receivers that use Toyota-specific connectors. Normally you just get a Scosche/Metra adapter and splice it with the new radio pigtails.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
M4One

I'm an idiot. I failed to realize/remember that the after market deck I'm replacing didn't miraculously plugged into the OEM harness, but it had already been wired up with the proper harness since I had taken it out from my previous car, which was also a Toyota.

I have since ordered a wiring harness and it actually seems pretty easy to do. I was just worried about doing anything to the OEM wires.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
No worries, happens to the best of us. =) Just make sure you have a decent crimp tool for the butt splices--those thin ones stamped out of sheet metal don't do a very good job. I found a fairly inexpensive one at the local box hardware store that is more like a pair of pliers/diagonal cutters with a full-width crimp die. Much better results from those.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
M4One

Update on install. It was super easy. Just a matter of matching up the wires. Everything works. Happy about the upgrade.

However, the trim kit I bought to fill in the gaps doesn't fit properly. It's the metra 95-8202 kit. I need to do a little trimming. Question is, do I trim the outside part of the iso mount or the inside part (the side that goes up against the head unit)? Has anyone done any modifications to get the trim kit to fit?