Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Installed 6.5 components with crossover but have a question...

So i bought garms 6.5 memphis speakers. Took the stereo guy quite awile to install them. The speakers seemed to be a bit larger than 6.5. They wouldnt fit in any standard 6.5 speaker adapter he had to cut and modify one to make them fit. The tweeters i had them mounted by the pillars facing the window.

They sound simply amazing. Now though my question is i notice i have less midrange and lows even though the woofers in the doors are larger than before. I took a look at the crossover there is a tweeter input and output. And woofer input and output. There are wires going to the tweeter input and output. But only wires going from output on woofer but no input. So i am guessing its getting its input from the same frequency as the tweeters?

Should there be another set of wires going to the woofer input or is this wired correctly.

Also since the crossover has seperate filters for the highs for the tweeters and lows for the woofers in the door panels couldnt i turn up the hp filter on my amplifier to boost the signal for the woofers and the crossover should filter out the frequency for the tweeters witout damaging them
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
pictures of that crossover please.

High pass lets higher frequencies through. Not what you want for mid bass. However, you're talking about a two way set soooo...

The tweeter should probably only go as low as what? 2-3K I'm thinking.

The inputs on the crossover are important to see. It depends on how the crossover is set up. The signal from the amplifier has to go in to one of those terminals...I always seem to remember using the woofer in for the signal path.

Also, opening up that crossover, don't you have some attenuation or phase adjustments? Pics of the crossover guts too!

What amplifier are you using? Have you tried to level match the signal from the deck to the amp yet?

Tuning time!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
you have 3 sets of speaker wire... 1 is from the deck or amp... that is your one and only "input". That is a full range signal. then your crossover breaks that full range signal into 2 signals... highs & lows... lows get sent to the mid, highs to the tweet.

the lack of mid that you are hearing is most likely a big reduction in harmonic distortion, slightly less midbass, and if you are running deck power... just the anemic sound of not running an external amp on speakers that have a lower sensitivity rating.

Mostly likely, if you were to get an external amp (i'm assuming you are running deck power), that you'd be happier.

Most people miss hearing distortion when they listen to a set of speakers which has low amounts of it. Quite honestly, rap doesn't sound nearly the same if there isn't distortion... its one of the few types of music that sounds better/more lively with a bit of distortion.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'd like to see if the passive is nice enough to be bi-amped.

Distortion sucks! I suppose that's why I listen to well recorded music versus popular music as a reference. I'd also submit that it is a signal quality issue (distortion as a whole).

Try XRCDs sometime. I'm swiftly collecting some good stuff. My last purchase was an album from Ella Fitzgerals and Joe Pass.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I'd like to see if the passive is nice enough to be bi-amped.

Distortion sucks! I suppose that's why I listen to well recorded music versus popular music as a reference. I'd also submit that it is a signal quality issue (distortion as a whole).

Try XRCDs sometime. I'm swiftly collecting some good stuff. My last purchase was an album from Ella Fitzgerals and Joe Pass.
hmm never heard of those before... just did a google search on them... i guess this replaced SACD? I don't know if i'd see any difference.... my receiver is an old (90's) onkyo... it doesn't to the crazy high sampling like newer models do.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

naw, the XRCD is an alternate for SACD. It is supposed to be "the best" you can get in a 2 channel recording. That is versus SACD's 5.1 format.

JVC pioneered it from what I understand. The reference I've been reading regarding the format is that it is a remastering process that also takes the physical end of the manufacturing of the disc to a higher level.

Here's a link:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/xrcdinfo.asp

For me it's just part of the search for better sound.

Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I have Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon on SACD. And the sound quality increase is amazing. I am in the early 50's and have heard PF in every version they've came out with, but this tops them all. And XRCD is supposed to be a progresssion and still play in a normal CD player? I'm in for it. SACD took a special player. Still have two sony SACD players so may have to try a few! Thanks
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The XRCD is claimed to be better than HDCD. It is made for non SACD players. As far as testing it...well, all I have now is a laptop and a pair of Audio Technica cans to listen with.

It's...oh, a little over 40 days until I get that P-01 put in...I'll report then.