Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
KevD

Drives: Blue 2007 3dr 5spd
Pulled Abs fuse

So i yanked it the other day to see what it felt like. I have read that it makes the brakes very touchy and prone to lock up. I haven't noticed any real substantial difference. Maybe a TAD more sensitive but in all honesty, they feel better to me. Anyone else pull the fuse and have similar results?
KevD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
A few years back my Caravan lost power to the ABS Control Module. Never bothered to fix it, and drove with what is really just old fashioned brakes. Nothing like the good old days before electronic nannies got installed on everything.

BTW, my '06 Yaris does not have ABS. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
been running my '10 without it for a couple months now besides the lights on dash nothing really different

i can "one tire fire" on slight to wet roads without "bogging down"
cause my yaris lets me

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Well removing the fuse wont cause any different and feel in your braking. ABS only works when the wheels lock up to prevent skidding. Such as slamming the brakes on the freeway when traffic comes to sudden stop or someone cuts you off and the brakes lock up and you skid into the rear end of another car. However when abs kicks in it applies the brake rapidly much faster than any human could to keep traction on the wheels. If you youtube it there are many videos of cars braking distances with abs and without abs. Ive never had the misfortune to test the abs on my yaris but years back on my 240sx i got in a car accident in the rain that i know would have been avoided if i had abs. Once my brakes locked up i tried to turn my car right to avoid hitting the car infront of me but even though my wheels were turn all the way right my car kept going strait.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
ABS causes enough problems on it's own. Three of my cars(Yaris, Wrangler, Cougar) did not come with ABS, it's never been an issue.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I autocross my yaris.. I have tried doing it with the abs and without. ABS for the win!. Like what yarissadan said, I can brake and turn at the same time. Also I can approach a turn and brake later then I would without abs. Without abs, locking the brakes are tooo easy. I like abs, lol
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I autocross my yaris.. I have tried doing it with the abs and without. ABS for the win!. Like what yarissadan said, I can brake and turn at the same time. Also I can approach a turn and brake later then I would without abs. Without abs, locking the brakes are tooo easy. I like abs, lol
Here Here
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
KevD

Cool thanks for the replies/opinions. Yeah, i may put the fuse back in for summer... I can't deal with ABS kicking in all the time in the winter though. (haha that sounds so counter-intuitive). I find the ABS so sensitive. I've had it kick in on a bone dry road, stopping on some broken pavement. Rain or sleet? You just have to THINK about braking and the ABS kicks in. (i know, i know...maybe its my worn out tires.. LOL)

Anyways, thanks again. I'll keep experimenting with it.

Hey, maybe this will start a new discussion... Isn't it common practice to get all your braking done in race situations BEFORE turning? I could be wrong. Not like i have any of race experience...

Like i said though, a DISCUSSION! Not a fight! I respect everyone on here and their opinions!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
ilikerice

Quote:
Isn't it common practice to get all your braking done in race situations BEFORE turning
Yes, you are correct. Shouldn't be turning and on the brake at all at the same time during racing.. BUT, there are moments, esp. in autocross, that some misjudged stopping distance has cost me a cone or 2.

On a road course though going speeds well over 60mph at least coming to a turn, I would definitly get all my braking in before i decided to turn the wheel.
Autocross though, I rarely get over 60mph. And if I do, I will be having to brake hard for the next turn.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Also if you are braking and turning, then you are not doing either of them fully. If you let off the brake you will have more traction to turn the vehicle.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
ilikerice

Depends on the situation. To avoid an accident/cones, I will say the abs has helped me in a few situations. Its easy to lock up while trying to "slow down" without the abs. ABS is to avoid locking up.
To do a heat in autocross, your objective is to brake as hard as possible but without triggering the abs. That would be most time effiecient and effective way of braking in any type of racing situation. Autocross is an amazing way to learn every aspect of your car and to drive it safely without the serious damage
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post

Hey, maybe this will start a new discussion... Isn't it common practice to get all your braking done in race situations BEFORE turning? I could be wrong. Not like i have any of race experience...

The standard rules of vehicle dynamics do not apply to autocross, we ask the car to do many things at one time, and thanks to the lower speeds you can get away with it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
I did the same thing when i had my '06 xB...its nannies kicked in way too early and too much.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
our 08 LB doesn't have ABS. No problems at all (even with our crazy winter last year). I had better braking ability in the non-ABS yaris with snow tires than in my 07 wrx (with ABS) with all-seasons.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
our 08 LB doesn't have ABS. No problems at all (even with our crazy winter last year). I had better braking ability in the non-ABS yaris with snow tires than in my 07 wrx (with ABS) with all-seasons.
ABS or not, winter tires will always out-brake all-seasons in any winter condition below the freezing mark.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
ABS or not, winter tires will always out-brake all-seasons in any winter condition below the freezing mark.
absolutely right, I can't wait to do an apples to apples with winter tires for both.

point is though, abs isn't necessary
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
KevD

So far so good. Been driving without the ABS for a few weeks and i like it way better. It used to kick in while coming to a stop on dry rough pavement. Not in a panic stop either. 10mph coming to a stop.. Very annoying. I've never had ABS so i guess i'm pretty used to braking without it.

Something else i've never had are winter tires. That's why i'm really excited to try out the michelin x-ice tires that came with my yaris!

Just thought of something else: Is there any long term problems that could arise from running no ABS fuse??
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
i'ved had no problems with my '10 so far
6mos without it
only problem i get is when my freinds ride with me they ask how come all those lights are on? something wrong with your car?

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote